At GoCardless, were passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they & their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 60,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce & Quickbooks, more & more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
Were headquartered in the UK, & backed by some of the worlds leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital & Bain Capital. Over 600 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. Weve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire & develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning & feedback, & support colleagues to develop in their role & more broadly in their career.
Risk @ GoCardless
At GC were approaching Risk in Financial Services in a new way. We dont do box-ticking, or employ an army of naysayers, we -
- ...are ready to serve everyone, if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but empowers it to achieve our goals
- ...automate everything we do - we dont like inefficiencies & believe real risk mitigation cannot be done by throwing people at the problem
- ...create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal & external) to feel they cannot wait to go through our processes
What is the Risk Chief of Staff Team @ GoCardless?
We support a wide range of legal & risk functions across GC, including Regulatory Compliance, Financial Crime, Risk Operations, Legal, Privacy & Security & Enterprise Risk Management.
Our mission is to support & enable the rest of Risk to be a more efficient, effective & focused team. We do that in three ways:
- High visibility & clear communication - Enabling the Risk team & the wider GC Org. to understand how Risk is performing, what were working on & why its important for the success of GC.
- Prioritisation & predictable execution - Enabling the GC strategy by ensuring focus & prioritisation of work, owning long-term planning & reliably delivering on our commitments.
- Sustainable growth & efficiency - Continuously improving tooling & processes to support the efficient scaling of Risk & GC, controlling spend & ensuring value-for-money.
This is a varied role that offers you exposure to & an opportunity to engage with stakeholders across the full spectrum of Risk & Legal functions in a Financial Services business. The work will be varied, & no two weeks will be the same as youll be working across several concurrent projects, prioritising your workload accordingly. Some of the main elements of this role will involve:
- Helping to design, implement & maintain processes & practices that ensure the Risk organisation is as efficient & nimble as the wider business
- Measuring & reporting on the performance of the team - including the design & tracking of KPIs & KRIs
- Using the KPIs & KRIs you develop, alongside additional analysis, to make data-driven recommendations on how the Risk organisation can improve, & then running the projects that will deliver those improvements
- Improving & maintaining the teams knowledge base
- Bringing new technology & innovation to the team; benchmarking, analysing, & recommending improvements to our supporting tools & systems
- Coordinating responses to industry consultations & calls for evidence
- Supporting with internal communications & planning for team meetings & events; helping the Risk organisation to feel like one team
What are we looking for?
We recognise there is no one size fits all, so were looking for someone who has the following profile:
- A bias towards action; youre highly organised & proactive, rather than waiting for work to be assigned to you
- Youre highly numerate & youre interested in data & what it can tell you; you have experience using data to make meaningful decisions
- You enjoy unstructured problem-solving
- You love tech & tools, & enjoy exploring how they can contribute to efficiency & customer experience
- You can communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- You are easily dissatisfied with how things are run & constantly looking for opportunities to improve them
- Youre familiar with the basics of good project management; when things get busy, youre good at prioritising & can find creative ways to deal with the pressure & stay calm
- Exposure to or experience working within a legal or risk function
- Experience with data visualisation tools; we use Looker, but if youre experienced with Power BI, Qlik or Tableau it should be an easy switch
- Experience using Jira, or an equivalent project management tool
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities & from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring & onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field & continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active employee resource groups (such BEAM & Rainbow) that are supported & sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage & inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours & remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. Youll also receive equity, because we believe having this buy in is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
Here at GoCardless we value flexibility, & throughout the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic we've listened to our global GeeCees to gain a better understanding of the positives & negatives of working remotely (which we've been doing since March 2020).
Their feedback helped us develop our 'Adaptive Working' model, rolling out mid to late 2021. It's built around three components: days in the office, remote working, & enhanced environments. This means teams will be able to come into a GC office between one & three days per week for collaboration & teamwork, with the rest spent working remotely to enable a healthy work/life balance. Well also be reimagining our office environments so they enhance the collaboration & socialisation aspects our GeeCees told us they value most highly.
We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing & comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments & a range of remote social activities you can dip in & out of whenever you fancy.
Find out more about Life at GoCardless via Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.