As a Program Specialist you will help demonstrate the power of Playworks in new communities by providing single or multi-day training, on-site service delivery, spreading awareness of Playworks through school recruitment & outreach, & providing support for programming across New York & New Jersey. You will be based in the greater New York City area & time is split between various program, training & school recruitment activities. This position will require frequent travel in New York, New Jersey & Connecticut.
Specifically, you will:
- Plan & implement a consultative play-based program (Team-Up) at two public elementary schools.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, & volunteers
- Collect & maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, monthly schedules, meeting agendas, notes & data.
- Plan & implement the learning units & recess staff training for program components.
- Support regional team & national program department with development of programmatic learning & management resources.
- Deliver onsite coaching, consultation, & modeling to school personnel the implementation of the following components.
- Recess - with School Personnel create & coach recess staff to develop a safe & inclusive playground & be a significant presence on the playground by organizing & playing large games with 20+ students as well as role modeling positive behavior.
- Student leadership program with School Personnel organize a Junior Coach student leadership program by facilitating training as well as coaching recess staff to supervise & manage Junior Coaches during recess.
- Instructional classes - lead instructional classes with elementary grade levels students & their teacher in skills building, cooperative games, & activities to increase awareness of rules, boundaries, skills utilized & cultural expectations at recess.
Professional Development & Regional Support:
- Become a certified trainer to aid in the delivery of all Playworks Pro services, which includes travel throughout the three-state region of New York, New Jersey & Connecticut, to deliver Playworks training
- Ongoing learning to develop training skills & curriculum
- Act as a partner for fundraising projects & events (i.e. End of the Year Appeal)
- Attend conferences & professional development opportunities
- On non-program implementation weeks, lead & facilitate various trainings throughout New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, & possibly nearby regions
- Support Playworks programming & community initiatives (i.e., AmeriCorps week, Employee Appreciation, Play Dates etc.)
- Take an active role in pre-service training for all new & returning staff
- Assist in general outreach strategy that may include, school contact research, attending local conferences, conducting on-site demonstrations to recruit new schools, & being a creative partner in these efforts
- Work in partnership with the Associate Director & Regional Partnership Director on Playworks programming & consultation services, including planning, implementation, training, evaluation & program quality
- Conduct Recess Assessments, Great Recess Framework evaluations as needed with RecessCheckUp, PlayworksU, & Pro schools
- Help the school recruitment team implement a strong partner referral program
- Sell $10,000 of Pro services
- Will own several demonstration projects including client communication, proactive internal Playworks communication & timely reporting
- Collect & maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, & monthly schedules, time sheets, & mileage report
- Engage in performance management with direct manager
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require the ability to take ownership of program delivery at multiple sites, make connections & sustain multiple relationships while multi-tasking other important projects
- The strongest candidate will be a confident leader with the ability to take on many roles & sell Playworks to new partners
- A want & desire to grow Playworks program throughout New York & New Jersey
- You will be successful if you can own projects, drive initiatives, & be a communicative team player
Required Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading groups of children of all sizes with the ability to engage & inspire youth
- Proven ability to train adult participants including helping with change management, connecting strategies to outcomes & being able to speak on a micro & macro scales
- Motivated self-starter with clear & open communication skills
- Humorous & playful with ability to set clear goals & follow through with flexible & creative problem-solving tools
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail & multitasking
- Experience interacting with diverse communities & the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Knowledge of computer & internet-based programs for use in communication & grant requirements
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral & written
- Ability to manage assorted tasks with a focus on enhancing the experience for youth during the school day
- Must have a minimum of one year experience as a Playworks Coach (or equivalent experience)
- Must have access to reliable transportation to travel locally, this position will require travel to various regional locations
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work & an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health & childcare spending accounts.
- Generous flexible time off with sick & holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful & fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nations youth. So, if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges & if you've got the skills, experience, passion, & a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks & how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested if competitive for the position.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform childrens physical & emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, & reaches 1.25 million students directly & through professional training services.
We believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, & healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, & after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, & consultative partnerships.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe & healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing & managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community & healthy play are the foundation of our organization & are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting & retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex & physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, & any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.