About the Role
As a Distributed Systems Staff Engineer you will be responsible for designing & implementing services to support a variety of business needs. You will improve the design of our existing architecture & understand the impact that this can have across the company. You care about writing reliable, secure, testable, efficient code. You invest your time in writing good documentation, relish giving & receiving feedback on code, & are up-to-date the latest developments in the space. You are a team player who strives to make the whole organization better. You will report to the Sr. Manager of Distributed Systems.
What you will accomplish:
- Lead the design & implementation of new services that are performant, reliable, secure, testable, maintainable, & well documented
- Make improvements to existing services that increase performance, reliability, security, testability & maintainability
- Make recommendations to improve key engineering metrics for performance, availability, scalability & efficiency in support of additional brands, systems & geographies
- Propose engineering best practices - writing RFCs, creating runbooks, driving process improvements (e.g. to CI/CD, deployments, code reviews, incident resolution, etc)
This should describe you:
- You have a Bachelors in computer science, software engineering, or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training) & 6+ years of relevant work experience.
- You embrace leadership opportunities, can influence without authority, provide mentorship to less experienced staff, & raise the bar for the entire team.
- You have experience in developing services, troubleshooting & debugging distributed systems. You know how to make large software projects maintainable & extensible.
- You have a DevOps mindset, taking responsibility for the entire system & its operations. You have experience with tools like Terraform, Circle CI, & Kubernetes.
- You are already fluent in one or more components of our technology stack: TypeScript, Python, Scala, Play, Akka, Postgres, AWS (EKS, Cloudformation, Kinesis, Lambda).
- You are curious about software & how things work, you work to understand technical problems deeply, & you stay current.
You have worked in an Agile/Scrum environment & are comfortable establishing goals, writing stories, using story points, forecasting what can be achieved within an iteration, & reflecting on how to improve
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protectivehairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.