BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
BuzzFeed News is hiring a News Editor on its Breaking news team to help lead its coverage of the biggest news of the day & week.
The News Editor role is one of the most dynamic at BuzzFeed News. It involves assigning coverage, line editing, big picture editing, developing coverage strategy & story ideas, managing & developing a team of reporters, helping launch new initiatives for the Breaking team at large, & serving as a leader for other desks around the newsroom.
In one week you could be at the helm of our coverage of a devastating hurricane, the next you could be navigating coverage of the latest meme, or shepherding an investigation into working conditions in Hollywood.
Throughout it all, the news editor should be comfortable guiding coverage in the moment & advancing the sharp & thoughtful questions & angles that could lead to exclusive, creative, or truly distinct coverage. This desk is smart about the pitfalls of breaking news reporting in the internet age such as running too quickly with assumptions & this editor should be able to avoid them.
The news editor has to develop a strong sense of the BuzzFeed News reader, & how we serve them, balancing the news of the day with the news of the week & month. What story is one-and-done? What needs followup? What needs a drumbeat of reporting? What should be a deeper dive?
The person also has to embrace BuzzFeed Newss voice we dont mince words, we speak the language of the internet, & we can be witty & funny.
- The news editor will report to the Breaking News Co-Director, & will manage several reporters on the breaking news desk. The schedule for this role is Tuesday through Saturday, starting at 8 a.m. ET on the weekdays & later in the morning on the weekend. On Saturday, the news editor will be in the critical position of being the leader of the newsroom, making coverage decisions & deciding how BuzzFeed News should spend its resources.
- This editor will often be the only layer between copy that is filed & published. Therefore the editor needs strong line editing skills, or the ability & desire to develop them, knowing how to edit for grammar, clarity, accuracy, & the most engaging language possible.
- The news editor will need to be an empathetic & candid manager who is supportive of staff & is dedicated to growing their careers. They should be able to communicate with reports about the things that are working & the things that are not working, & to address the latter issues head-on & find solutions.
- We at BuzzFeed News recognize that not every candidate will come in with fully developed skills in editing, managing, & coverage strategy building the skills for a long career is a lifelong process. We will work with the successful candidate to identify their strong areas & to amplify them, & to identify their areas of improvement & to improve upon them.
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth & joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen & interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company.
- At least 4 years of experience managing news reporters in a fast-paced newsroom
- Fluency in internet culture, what people are talking about, & how to avoid misinformation
Please apply with a rsum, your social media handles, & a cover letter that tells us more about you, your work, & why youd be good for the job.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.