Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management & technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, & over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves & has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Architectural Designer to join our Design & Construction Team to develophousing for shared living. We are looking for a proactive individual who can navigate the balancebetween both the qualitative & quantitative; the creative & practical. The position will requirethe candidate to jump between layouts, calculations, on-site scoping, drafting, coordination, projectmanagement, & illustration. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize & execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale. This role will reportto the Senior Architecture Designer.
- Provide test-fit layouts & conduct feasibility studies across a wide array of housing typologies.
- Work closely with internal Real Estate team to design & analyze homes in our pipeline. This includes conducting testfits & feasibility studies in parallel with a financial pro forma across a wide array of housing typologies.
- Since Common is not the AOR for our homes, you will collaborate with our partners architects to ensure quality of the brand through advisory & review. This includes schematic programming, layouts, coordination with local architects, drawing review, writing specifications, FF&E design, & construction administration. Unlike the experience one would get in a traditional firm, the job will not include production of drawing sets or formal exploration.
- At the Associate level, this role will require a focus on large-scale, higher-profile projects. You will be required to provide oversight & project management support of a high-volume (and growing) portfolio. As this role is client-facing, you will be directly involved in leading conversations & making presentations to our partners. You will become a representative of Common & good salesmanship is required.
- You are expected to work autonomously to see & solve problems, & get the work done.
- You will be asked to lead projects & initiatives & work inter departmentally with peers.
- In addition to project-specific design, we are constantly refining & challenging our model for shared living. You will need to question & optimize our designs with feedback data from other teams. You will verbally & visually communicate ideas through diagramming & illustrations to fold architectural thinking into our brand.
- This role will involve mentoring & coaching peers on technical knowledge & design.
- There will be opportunities to travel to project sites as necessary.
- Masters Degree in Architecture required.
- 3+ Years of experience in an architecture/design firm required.
- 2+ Years of professional experience in residential design is required & portfolio must demonstrate experience or thinking in housing or residential design.
- Professional experience with US city approvals (code or zoning) required.
- Eye for interior design & finishes preferred.
- Proficiency in Rhino, Autocad, Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign required.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning.
- Candidate must be very organized & be able to multitask across large number of projects with various deadlines.
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices.
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.