Were hiring an Executive Editor.
About our team & what well build together
theSkimm is seeking an Executive Editor to act as the standard bearer for editorial & journalistic excellence at theSkimm. This person will be instrumental in defining our content team best practices, developing our talented roster of writers & editors, evolving our voice & storytelling across categories, & dreaming up & executing content initiatives that continue to position theSkimm as a thought leader in the womens media space. This role reports into the Editor In Chief.
This role sits on the Editorial team, which is made up of collaborative, unique, kind, inclusive individuals who bring their A-game to work every day. As a mission-driven brand, we have the unique ability to assess what our audience needs to know vs. chasing what every other brand is covering. We have a lot of creative freedom & understanding of our audience & we work together to deliver informative, accurate, accessible content. We create the articles, podcasts, videos, etc. that power our website, newsletters, podcasts, social channels, & more.
How youll contribute to our mission
- Manage editorial leaders across news, wellness, money, & parenting categories
- Act as the keeper of best practices when it comes to story selection, reporting, writing, editing, packaging, coverage of sensitive topics, & style guide
- Work with editorial category leads & content development team to hone theSkimms differentiated perspective across categories, with a focus on web & newsletter
- Work with editorial category leads to conceive of & execute formats, franchises, content packages, campaigns, & initiatives that garner pageviews, press, brand affinity, & revenue opportunities
- Top edit sensitive content & larger content initiatives as needed
- Collaborate with the video, audio, & social teams to maintain a cohesive & relevant POV across all Skimm platforms
- Use data from the insights & analytics teams to assess content performance & plan strategically for audience engagement & growth
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- 10+ years experience working in a digital newsroom setting
- Excellent journalistic judgment when it comes to fact checking, original reporting, reporting on data, coverage of sensitive topics, journalistic best practices, SEO best practices
- Strong experience with & passion for developing writers & editors
- Proven track record of creating original, engaging content across platforms
- Experience in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to anticipate & respond quickly to change
- Experience using audience & traffic data to inform content strategy
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission
Why we love working here
We are mission driven & values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world & the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose & allows us to provide useful information succinctly & contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work & our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand & takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each & every day.
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day & employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering & surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee Resource Groups
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Everyday were breaking down the news, trends, policies, & politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives & futures from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing & empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape & defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news & make decisions. Today our ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, three top-rated podcasts: Skimm This, 9 to 5ish with theSkimm & Pop Cultured with theSkimm, theSkimm mobile app, virtual course series SkimmU, & Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred 1 million voting-related actions across the last three election cycles, & it's #ShowUsYourLeave movement, creating transparency & change for Paid Family Leave in the U.S.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
*Any correspondence from our team will come from a @theskimm.com email account!