Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, & grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult & expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware & software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, & more. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square's rapidly growing financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses & consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, & repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $4.5 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers.
As a software engineer on Square Capital, you will design, build, & own the services & infrastructure that power our products. You will build beautiful web applications, modern mobile apps, sophisticated financial systems, & highly available services that form complex distributed systems. If you love delivering beautiful software that improves the lives of millions of consumers & business owners, we want to work with you!
- Partner with colleagues across engineering, product, & design to build clean web & mobile experiences
- Develop modern APIs that integrate web & mobile app clients with server backends
- Build well-designed, reusable systems to model financial systems & transactions
- Build systems that collect & maintain customers' sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security & compliance
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave & move fast, without ever negatively affecting our customers
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML & perform BSA/AML duties as required by job function.
- 2+ years of software engineering experience.
- Interest in working full-stack, from developing frontend web applications to implementing business logic & optimizing database transactions.
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside & inside - from their user experience to their robust & elegant design.
- Strong software development skills & computer science fundamentals.
At Square, we value diversity & always treat all employees & job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, & talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible.