Senior Software Engineer - Performance Engineering
Performance Engineering falls under Tech Infrastructure & is a team of engineers building tools & software for other engineers. Our mission is to build the foundations that streamline development, standardize quality, & empower the Compass Engineering organization to build the first end-to-end real estate platform.
You are an experienced frontend, backend, or full stack engineer who wants to be a part of a fast-paced startup in hyper-growth.
You are passionate about performance, monitoring, & highly-available applications & services. Your code is fully instrumented & you have a pulse on the heartbeat of the platform. You know that milliseconds matter: that our agents want all of their essential tools to be right at their fingertips & need the competitive edge to make money.
You collaborate openly with product-facing teams, working with them to understand how to measure their applications & services & helping them devise solutions to their biggest performance problems. You have a deep understanding of common performance pitfalls in system design.
You feel it is critical that your voice is heard in engineering & business decisions. You love learning about new technologies & sharing what youve learned with others. Youre both a listener & contributor. You take care to understand before making yourself understood.
You believe that performance profiling begins at design time & understand that benchmarking/load testing is paramount to helping our engineering peers deliver value to our customers.
At Compass You Will...
- Provide Compass engineers with best-in-class tools to monitor their applications & services.
- Build tools engineers can use to determine how their applications & services are performing against SLOs/SLAs.
- Help build & nurture a culture of performance amongst your fellow engineers.
- Work directly with engineering teams to determine the root causes of performance-related system architecture problems.
- Improve the availability & reliability of the Compass platform holistically.
- Create automation that enforces best practices across all of Engineering, freeing other team members from concern & worry.
What Were Looking For
- Experience with monitoring tools (including APM, logging, custom metrics, RUM, synthetics, error handling, & alerting).
- Familiarity with popular performance profiling/load testing tools (locust, autocannon, lighthouse, gatling, etc.).
- Exposure to incident response processes & measurement against SLOs/SLAs.
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes is a plus.
- Experience with experimentation tools/frameworks is a plus.
- Ansible, CloudFormation
- Istio, NGINX
- Catchpoint, Pingdom, Atatus
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place.
Check out our Engineering blog!