Software Engineer - Intern (Summer 2021) - London
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. As a Software Engineer Intern (Summer of 2021), you will be working in a rapidly evolving & fast-paced environment, with a team that is implementing a reliable, auto-scaling, software-based telephony application stack on top of commodity cloud computing resources such as Amazon's EC2.
Twilio is looking for interns who live the Twilio Magic & have a demonstrated track record of learning, growth, impact, & success. They are also:
- Pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or Phd degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Having a keen interest in software development with several side projects & perhaps are a part of the open source community.
- Having a hungry entrepreneurial & "can do" spirit, as evidenced by successful interest in learning new technologies.
- Having experience in data processing, analytics, business intelligence, & reporting.
- Having experience with technologies such as hadoop, spark, python, scala etc.
As a Software Engineering intern, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work in a small, high-impact, diverse team.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Bring in your expertise & experience to empower your team & make things better in all aspects; perform detailed & thoughtful peer code reviews.
- DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with the team to tackle complex problems in distributed computing; help building Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery on managed AWS services.
- BE AN OWNER: Build & operate your team's services in a production environment leveraging a DevOps model; Ensure quality by writing unit, integration, & load tests; Design & implement various initiatives, scalable infrastructure solutions that meet Twilios high scalability & performance needs.
- DONT SETTLE, RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Constantly look for areas of improvement in processes, system & optimize. Be an advocate for balancing tech debt & feature development; develop monitoring & alerting solutions that keep our systems health in check; internalize the set of good habits (development techniques, test driven development, load & performance testing, security, tech debt balance, Agile discipline etc.) that drives high-end engineering excellence.
As a Software Engineer Intern you will experience the following:
- Be a Software Engineer, not just an "intern".
- Ship many different projects during your summer.
- Engineers at Twilio solve problems in distributed computing, real-time DSP (audio processing), virtualization performance, distributed messaging, busses & more.
- During your internship, you will be given responsibility for core features & services that ship to our users.
- You will be expected to embrace these challenges, learn fast & deliver great results.
- You will bring a willingness to learn & grow & we will reciprocate with ample opportunity to do just that, in a friendly, fun & exciting startup environment!
- Learn to develop beautiful & profitable applications.
- Demonstrate consistent improvement in your coding skills, issue-tracking & source control systems, & agile development mentality.
- Participate in code reviews, bug tracking & project management with the rest of the Twilio Team.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
The following London-based team is hiring:
- FLEX TEAM - A team that brings together a handful of Twilios product suite to power a next generation contact center solution. The team is working across the stack on different challenges from call routing on the back-end to customizing the UI of a call agents dashboards.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.