At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
This position will help manage Lyfts patent portfolio activities as well as advise on IP licensing, open source, & commercial agreements. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment & work proactively as a trusted advisor & partner to various teams across the organization including Legal, Product, & Engineering. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic legal team & work on cutting-edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment. This position will report to the Director, Intellectual Property.
- Help manage Lyfts patent portfolio & related activities, including invention identification & harvesting, invention disclosure meetings, portfolio mining, & directing patent application preparation & prosecution by outside patent counsel.
- Advise & assist in drafting IP-centric agreements including joint development & collaborations, IP acquisitions, open innovation activities, university research, & inbound & outbound license agreements.
- Provide broad-based strategic & portfolio advice as well as counseling key stakeholders in protecting & defending IP rights worldwide.
- Contribute to & execute on patent acquisition strategy.
- 5+ years of patent prosecution or IP counseling experience in relevant technology area
- In-house patent portfolio building/management experience strongly preferred
- Must be a member of the Patent Bar & have substantial understanding of patent law outside of litigation
- Must be proactive, self-directed, curious, detail oriented, organized, & have exceptional communication skills
- Strong understanding of Lyft & Lyfts products
- JD required
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- State bar membership
- Eligible to practice before the US Patent & Trademark Office
- Sense of humor & comfort with shifting priorities
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.