Assistant Editor, Trending & Viral Features
POPSUGAR is looking for a hard-working, fast-moving, internet-obsessed Assistant Trending Editor to join our Trending & Viral Features team. Our ideal candidate is a lifestyle & pop culture junkie with a smart, fun voice & a healthy habit of checking Instagram & Twitter every 30 seconds. If youre the first to spot a trend in the making, live on Reddit & TikTok, & have a knack for writing shareable headlines & witty ledes, we want to talk to you!
- Scour the web on a regular basis to uncover new trending topics & pre-viral trends
- Produce timely, clickable stories based on trending topics, using own research & as assigned by site editors & trending editors
- Create thoughtful, in-depth seasonal & themed features based on team & network brainstorms
- Consider analytics & previous successes to pitch strategic, winning story ideas
- Support editors with trending content creation during special events, including award shows & Fashion Week, working quickly & cleanly in real time
- Send daily trending digest emails to editorial team, curating the most relevant trending content on the web
- Attend & participate in trending team meetings, POPSUGAR brand meetings, & brainstorms
In order to thrive in this role, you must have...
- 2-3 years of experience in digital media, writing/editing, or a related field.
- A healthy obsession with social media, & active accounts across multiple social platforms.
- Super strong writing & communication skills.
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- The ability to stay ahead of trends & adapt to new & changing tasks & priorities on an hourly, daily, weekly, & monthly basis.
- A familiarity with & passion for the POPSUGAR brand.
- HTML & Photoshop skills are a plus!
- Must be willing & able to work evening & weekend hours.
We have amazing people.We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development.We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you.We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity.Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea.Who needs anything else?
POPSUGAR is the leading digital lifestyle brand for women globally. The company reaches young women through its digital media brand, POPSUGAR; its quarterly subscription box, POPSUGAR Must Have; its makeup line, Beauty by POPSUGAR; & the POPSUGAR Collection at Kohl's. POPSUGAR delivers positive & purpose-driven content across multiple platforms, spanning entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, parenting, & more. POPSUGAR reaches 1 in 2 Millennial women in the United States & leads all womens lifestyle publishers in user engagement. In November 2019, POPSUGAR joined Group Nine Media, the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S., & home to The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist & Seeker.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nines mission is to tell great stories that spark action & make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critics Choice, among others.