The head of engineering is responsible for engineering product delivery. This position reports to the CTO & will be responsible for the engineering team. Close collaboration will be necessary with product management, architecture, product operations, threat intelligence & program management to ensure orderly & efficient engineering delivery. A suitable candidate is passionate about building high-performance teams, mentoring engineers & optimizing the engineering delivery process. The primary responsibility of this role is operational management of the engineering organization.
The SecurityScorecard platform is comprised of a worldwide network of sensors that are constantly gathering data, both passively & actively, about the state of every device connected to the Internet. By analyzing this data & leveraging deep knowledge & understanding of core Internet protocols SecurityScorecard is able to identify & track the security posture of any company in the world. This task poses hard problems from various areas: high performance computation, distributed computation, statistical modeling, etc.
The SecurityScorecard team is a fully distributed workforce that spans four continents with primary development areas in New York, Argentina & the Czech Republic. A successful candidate will be comfortable with managing a fully distributed workforce, comfortable in a multicultural & international environment with an ability to travel as necessary between the primary work locations.
- 15+ years experience building enterprise or carrier products
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems & high performance computing
- Strong ability to decompose large complex systems
- Passionate commitment to agile development principles
- Experience building security products
- Principled thinking/reasoning - not defined by tools of the day
- 10+ years managing medium to large engineering teams
- 5+ years reporting to C-Level officers
- Passion for designing teams & developing people
- Excellent conflict management & resolution skills
- Strong & effective communicator
- VC backed technology startup experience
- MS in CS / EE or equivalent
- Demonstrated passion for personal investment & growth
- Team building & organizational design
- Continuous career development of engineers - individual contributor & supervisory tracks
- Continuously update the team structure based on evolving needs of the business
- Forecasting, budgeting & planning infrastructure & headcount
- Maintain strong relationships with peer functions: product management, program management, architecture, product operations, customer success & sales engineering
- Recruit & develop top engineering talent
- Product Delivery
- Design & continuous improvement on engineering delivery process
- Ensure effective resource allocation of engineering resources
- Mature the engineering leads ability to facilitate the delivery process
- Effectively communicate the state of the delivery pipeline to all parties
- Identification of constraints whether skills or resource based
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis, Mongo, AWS S3, & HDFS.
- Schedulers: HTCondor & Airflow.
- Operations Tooling: Kubernetes, Jenkins, DataDog, PagerDuty,
- Infrastructure: AWS Cloud & ISP Colocation for bare metal.
- Global availability, sun never sets operations & support
- In-Region to In-Country low latency data delivery
- Communications: Email, Slack, Zoom & Trello.
- Workflow & Knowledge Base: Github, Jira, & Confluence.
- Engineers: 25 (EoY 2018) -> 40 (EoY 2019), distributed workforce (North America, South America & Europe)
- Key Stakeholder Partners: Product Management, Product Operations, Chief Architect, Program Management, Customer Success, Sales Engineering & CTO
- Travel: As necessary to office locations (NYC, Prague & Buenos Aires)