BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
BuzzFeed, Inc has the best audience data in the industry. Period. We are unleashing our proprietary data this year through our data platform Lighthouse. As the media world gets a little darker without the cookie, we want to shine a path for audiences of the future.
We are looking for a passionate, data-driven leader to forge a new path for our advertising business at BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed is the dominant online media brand, informing & entertaining over 500 million monthly readers globally. This role will be critical to activating our enterprise data strategy & helping our industry navigate a privacy-first measurement world.
As the Director, Data Strategy, you will architect the solutions & systems that allow our client base to plan simpler, faster, & better using robust 1P consumer signals across platforms.
This role requires leadership & business acumen with both strategic & tactical skill sets. The Director has a proficiency at problem-solving & a strong command of social & digital media. The candidate must have a proven track record in data-rich analyses, the ability to interface effectively with strategic partners, & the skills to convert data into actionable insights & recommendations for our clients. This person is a gifted collaborator that reaches across the aisle between teams.
If you love data & love media, this job is meant for you. Will you help us light the way?
- Be our compass in a cookieless world. Lead our efforts in first-party audience analytics, developing, executing, & evolving analytics services that help bring the signals of our consumers to our key advertising partners.
- Navigate the advanced data unknown. Clients are in need of data ingestion, data sharing, & data passback but these services & processes are new & confusing even for clients. Design our service strategy on data partnerships.
- Lead our data strategy team. Lead & grow team by setting service standards, developing work relationships & analytics knowledge base & supporting them with the analytics project cycle & key client correspondences.
- Productizing our data services. Architect the spend thresholds, processes, intake, service level, turnaround time, & resources needed to execute data services that both internal & external stakeholders can leverage from our 1st party data.
- Build bridges between worlds. Develop strategic relationships with data vendors to push the boundaries of what Lighthouse can do. Internally, develop strategic relationships with key cross-functional leaders to accelerate & enrich 1p data initiatives.
- Evangelize automated data solutions for the business. Identify critical reporting dependencies & find ways to build data solutions to meet those needs.
- Lead audience creation & standardization. Develop & standardize the methodology required to grow our 1P audience segments for internal & external purposes.
- 10+ years of integrated marketing, Agency, Media and/or Ad Sales is highly preferred.
- Successful history in leading analytics teams.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships & work across multiple departments.
- Demonstrated expertise with 1st party data manipulation, including familiarity with DMPs, SQL querying, & visualization software (Google Data Studio, Tableau, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise with data strategy & partnerships including scaling services for client data ingestion, data sharing, data passback, bilateral data transfer, & clean room implementation. Prior experience working with Google Ad Manager, Permutive, LiveRamp, BlueKai, InfoSum, Habu, SafeHaven, Snowflake, etc.
- Outstanding verbal, written & interpersonal communications with overarching skill to translate data, information & research into powerful points of viewability to craft & tell a compelling story.
- Optional - expertise of 3rd party research databases, tools & applications, including (but not limited to) comScore, Nielsen, Google Analytics, Quantcast, Tubular, Global Web Index, Mintel, & Canvs.
- Knowledge of digital products, & cross-platform media.
- Working knowledge of Google Workspace products (Gmail, Sheets, Slides, Docs)
- High level of project planning, development & implementation.
- Ability to organize workflow & to follow through on multiple tasks.
- Business acumen in identifying analytics opportunities & scaling services.
- Bachelors degree in Marketing or Business or equivalent work experience.
- General understanding of Business Intelligence tools & managing large datasets.
- Demonstrated experience in digital marketing; understanding of online campaign development, metrics & optimization strategies.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.