theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is hiring a Managing Editor of Branded Content to lead theSkimms native content initiatives across all platforms (including, but not limited to, newsletter, video, web, & audio). Reporting to the Head of Content & managing a small team of writers, youll align with the sales leadership on pre-sale creative ideation for clients, developing new formats & solutions, & manage post sale execution of multi-platform campaigns in theSkimms unique voice. Youll be a key stakeholder in protecting & maintaining theSkimm voice in all branded partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Partner with Head of Brand Strategy to create 360 programs for focused list of strategic advertiser accounts
- Present to clients as needed
- Develop understanding of theSkimm assets, platforms, & products to communicate & creatively ideate native content for both upstarts & Fortune 500 companies.
- Write & edit multi-platform pre & post sale native content copy with small team of content creators & writers. (Platform agnostic writing ability- inclusive of, but not limited to, native articles, video treatments, copy for marketing initiatives, products, etc)
- Lead editorial in RFP pre-sale process, writing treatments while protecting theSkimms editorial voice, accountable to sales cycle
- Lead editorial development of multi-platform branded strategy, using data & insights from industry to create fresh, innovative content ideas across any format
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 5-7 years of experience working as a branded content writer or editor, preferably at a media company.
- Nuanced understanding of how to translate long-term business objectives of advertisers in to solutions that could be provided by theSkimm
- Track record of working effectively under deadline/pressure in collaborative sales processes, including the relationships & vocabulary required in an advertising sales environment
- Experience managing a team & coaching content creators
- Expert understanding of latest digital media trends & best practices across social, video, & web publishing
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm & its mission & ability to evangelize creative to both internal stakeholders & external clients
- A self-starter & a team player, ready to roll up sleeves as a player/coach
- Bachelor's Degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Being a news junkie
- Experience in media development & strategy
- Comfortable publishing in CMS
- Freelance contacts for branded content writing & video production
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sipn Skimm - a time to catch up as a group & wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY