Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where its needed most. Through our intensive software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills & industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, & become the next generation of leaders in tech. In addition to training & career support, Pursuits innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers & social impact investments to re-envision funding for outcomes-based organizations.
About the Role
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. Our Web Instructors perhaps have the greatest direct impact on our program participants & we are hiring instructors to support our program expansion. As an Instructor, you will manage a class of approximately 36 Fellows with no technical background to become job-ready over a 12-month period. Instructors will deliver technical curriculum, provide feedback to Fellows & create a positive learning environment.
Our office is located in Long Island City, NY but we are currently fully remote due to Coronavirus, including our classes. We are working on a plan to return to in-person instruction once it is safe to do so.
- You are passionate about teaching & mentoring, & have a strong connection to our mission
- You have a no-fail attitude & love working with a big cross-functional team
- You are compassionate & able to work with a broad range of students
- Deliver full-class instruction - currently remote over Zoom
- Lead small-group & one-on-one sessions for fellows in need of additional review
- Monitor chat & answer fellow questions
- Grade fellow work; offer robust written & verbal feedback to fellows
- Spearhead workshops & activities that respond to the needs of cohort
- Build & refine curriculum materials
- Assess individual Fellows & support forecasting efforts to meet org goals
- 2+ years experience in a technical instruction or technical role
- Passion for teaching & mentorship
- Knowledge of our tech stack: Postgres - Express - React/Redux - Node.js, aka PERN
- Strong work ethic & reliability
Nice to have:
- Jest, Cypress, React Testing Library/Enzyme, & automation platforms such as CircleCI
This is a full-time, salaried position with competitive compensation & a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, & vision insurance, flexible paid time off, & robust 401k matching.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.
More about us:
Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, & JPMorgan Chase, & increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, & communities across the nation. Read about our work in the New York Times: Income Before: $18,000. After: $85,000. Does Tiny Nonprofit Hold a Key to the Middle Class?
At Pursuit, we operate as One Big Team, supporting one another & ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members & volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values - Giving our All, Delivering Outcomes, & Data Driven, Human Judgement - underscore everything we do
You can find more information on our mission, values & history on our website, Pursuit.org.