First Look Media is seeking to hire a Vice President of Communications who will develop & execute robust communications strategies for the award-winning Topic Studios, including its corporate profile & content across several verticals including film, television, documentaries & podcasts. This position will also work to help support & promote the critically acclaimed, non-profit documentary unit, Field of Vision (FOV) & its work.
This role is cross-functional, communicating internally & externally, working closely with the Topic Studios leadership & team, as well as their creative & distribution partners, on planning, launching & publicizing content & new releases. The Vice President of Communications will work to build the profiles & branding of both organizations through potential media partnerships, speaking opportunities, festival planning, public relations campaigns, & extending relationships with key media & influencers. The role also calls for a strong ability to create & write comprehensive communications materials including well-thought-out strategies, press releases, talking points, & positioning documents.
We are looking for a confident senior communicator who can drive public relations opportunities across trade, consumer, entertainment, digital & news media. This person will closely partner with FLM Communications & advise Topic Studios & FOV leadership on various initiatives to achieve communications goals. This candidate must also possess relevant industry expertise, strong media relationships, excellent written & communications skills & an ability to learn fast & move faster in an ever-changing, multi-faceted environment. Candidate should be passionate, curious, knowledgeable & equipped to spearhead publicity campaigns autonomously, with drive & creativity. The Vice President of Communications is a new role & will be a key member, working closely with Topic Studios & Field of Visions teams.
The role reports to First Look Medias Chief Communications Officer & is based in NY.
- Drive corporate PR profile for Topic Studios across film, streaming, television & podcasting.
- Support Field of Vision in its work & expanding profile.
- Secure consumer & trade publicity opportunities for content, overall brand awareness talent & executive visibility.
- Shape communications strategy for content, brand innovation, executive speaking opportunities, & social responsibility efforts where relevant.
- Work as part of a team to create impactful media relations campaigns to build buzz around content & communications priorities.
- Proactively pitch media to support content initiatives, including pitching talent & creatives for editorial & broadcast interviews timed to premiere & releases.
- Facilitate & support media relations efforts at virtual & live events, including press junkets, red carpets, screenings, conferences & conventions.
- Collaborate & communicate plans with internal teams including marketing, social, content production, legal & others.
- Oversee Topic Studios awards strategy including but not limited to the Emmys, Golden Globes, Academy Awards, Peoples Choice Podcast Awards & seasonal Documentary Film Festivals & collaborate with FOV on their awards strategy.
- Work directly with studio & creative partners, to develop specialized PR programs for target industry & consumer audiences, as well as go-to-market strategies.
- Strategize with marketing & social teams to ensure impactful, multifaceted campaigns for Topic Studios & FOV are built & executed to grow reach & audience, as well as earn industry acclaim through more traditional channels.
- Work closely with Topic Studios' distribution partners- including independent/specialty distributors, streamers, & major studios- on relevant press releases (ie. acquisition announcements) & to collaborate on national campaigns for Topic projects as appropriate.
- Counter communicate any misinformation or crisis that might interfere with the business while protecting the integrity of the FLM brands & reputation.
- Produce key messages, talking points, press releases, one-pagers, presentations/keynotes, Q&As, thought leadership pieces, bylined articles, & other communications assets.
- Coordinate with events & editorial teams to create & support screenings, panels, festival premiers & speaking opportunities to promote brand, talent & content.
- Manage external PR firms, including corporate profile, content specific, or film festival.
- A willingness to create, drive & execute strategy at all levels.
- Ensure communications & branding align with larger FLM company voice, tone & goals.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 8-10+ years of communications/public relations experience at a film studio or media company.
- Have established relationships with domestic/international journalists, bookers, studio partners, trade media & talent/producer representatives.
- A successful track record executing PR programs for narrative & documentary film, & television. (podcasting a plus)
- Ability to lead big picture strategies, while ensuring detailed execution.
- Consultative nature partnering with executives on PR strategies & positioning.
- Demonstrated success working well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- A self-starter who can demonstrate creative & critical thinking & problem-solving skills in an ambiguous environment.
- Deep knowledge & understanding of the industry trends in the film, documentary & entertainment landscape.
- Passion for content & storytelling.
- A curiosity for uncovering new, innovative ways of doing things.
- Demonstrated ability to interact well with cross-functional team members & connect & communicate well with internal & external partners.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities, lead multiple projects & offer advice & recommendations with justifiable back-up.
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint, Cision, Meltwater & Apple Keynote desired
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios, the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media, develops, finances & produces provocative & entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television & podcasts. From Academy Award winning films (Spotlight); to documentaries (The Fight, co-released with Magnolia Pictures, available in theaters & on-demand, & Mucho Mucho Amor, now streaming on Netflix); to television (the docu-series Love Fraud & the Emmy Award winning & Peabody Award nominated 16 Shots, both on Showtime, & the Emmy Award nominated Losers on Netflix); & pioneering podcasts (Missing Richard Simmons, the Peabody Award nominated Running from COPS, Anthem written by John Cameron Mitchell & Bryan Weller, featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo & Patti LuPone, & the investigative podcast Somebody with iHeartMedia). Films coming soon from Topic Studios include Michael Angelo Covinos The Climb set for release November 13 (Sony Pictures Classics); Euros Lyns Dream Horse, starring Toni Collette & Damian Lewis (with Bleecker Street); & The Nowhere Inn written by & starring Carrie Brownstein (Portlandia) & Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent). Other upcoming projects include the untitled political drama formally known as Prisoner 760 directed by Kevin Macdonald & starring Jodie Foster, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tahar Rahim & Shailene Woodley (STX); Pablo Larrains Spencer, starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana, acquired with NEON at Cannes this year, & a film exploring the connection between Chinatown restaurants & the rise of punk music produced by & starring Golden Globe winner Awkwafina.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven documentary unit that commissions, creates & supports original short-form & feature-length nonfiction films & episodic series about developing & ongoing stories around the globe. Our mission is to support work that uses innovative & artistic ways to explore contemporary global issues through a cinematic lens & push the boundaries of nonfiction storytelling.
About First Look Media
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration & excellence defines First Look Media, a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices & storytelling. From fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment, First Look Media is currently in market with its flagship properties Topic Studios, Topic streaming service, The Intercept, Field of Vision & The Press Freedom Defense Fund. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.