Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content & systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty & administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools & higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment thats fun, collaborative & innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education & aren't afraid to show it.
What youll do:
As a Senior Software Engineer, youll be in a hands-on development role collaborating with our team to help continue building the leading LMS software in the industry, Schoology! Your focus will be to help expand our Assessment Management Platform (AMP) in the areas of creation, distribution, management, & analysis.
This position will own the data pipeline that moves data from our transactional database over to our analytics system. We have a microservice architecture that needs to be extended & improved to continue delivering value to customers.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Our software engineering practices promote the culture of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous improvement. The right candidate is ready for this challenge & eager to apply sound software engineering practices to the Schoology web application.
You must have the willingness to work in all areas of our application. This can include Java, PHP, AWS Lambda, Terraform, MySQL, even Chef, or other AWS cloud tools that they havent released yet. This can mean helping out with testing, writing documentation & being on call. If you are unfamiliar, do not fret! We will pair you with other developers & offer you the necessary training.
Youll also collaborate with Product Management, Design, & Operations teams to create & deliver tested features to production.
To succeed in the position, you will need:
- Experience with Java or other object oriented languages with processes that can run for long periods of time
- Strong SQL knowledge including windowing functions, performance analysis, & an understanding of when to use a database like Redshift instead of MySQL
- Understanding how to write systems that highlight errors proactively using observability best practices
- Experience with writing unit, integration, & UI automated tests
- Familiarity with deploying code using continuous integration tools, & especially understanding why using ECS or EKS is beneficial
- A willingness to work on UI code when projects call for it
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity & Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer & embraces diversity of every kind.