Senior Engineer, Application Development Platform Team
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
Rent The Runway established its European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, the growing team in Galway tackles core technology challenges & influences the next generation of services critical to Rent The Runways success & continued growth.
The Galway office is Rent the Runway's first international office outside the US & enables the company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Machine Learning Engineering & Data Science footprint. Rent The Runways Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles & career paths in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, & entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, & work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
The Application Development Platform Team is a new team that sits at the forefront of initiatives to drive Engineering Excellence across Rent The Runway. We aim to improve the productivity & scalability of RTRs developers & system by building tooling, automation & processes using cutting edge technologies & paradigms.
About the Job:
Our Application Development Platform engineers will be working on improving existing application level infrastructure that powers our site & keeps our developer cohort delivering business value. The goal is to further excellence in our engineering practices & reduce the cognitive load for our engineering team by bridging the gap between development & infrastructure & ensuring we extract maximum value from our cloud environment. This includes tooling across all parts of the Software Development Life Cycle & requires understanding of common problems our developers have & designing solutions to those impediments that unlock functional teams & ownership of those solutions right through the software lifecycle.
What Youll Do:
- Develop tooling that will improve the day to day lives of hundreds of developers.
- Create & support a continuous improvement & deployment pipeline for a polyglot system.
- Stewardship of current & future core solutions that provide value to the technical organisation.
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, testing & deployment of core tooling & libraries.
- Drive technical projects to success & provide mentorship in a fast-paced startup environment to ensure observability, resiliency & reliability.
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind.
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges.
- Work closely with cross-functional technical teams across the engineering organization.
- Close collaboration with our Infrastructure & SRE teams to bridge the gap & ensure alignment with development teams as we transition away from our monolithic application structure into a more cloud-native designed landscape.
- Work closely with Architecture teams to ensure alignment & best practices across all our existing & future development.
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience with OOP concepts & design patterns using a widely used programming language (e.g. Java/C++).
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- Experience in building CI/CD systems, & knowledge of best practices to deliver software safely for the cloud.
- You are comfortable working with various architectural patterns & understand when best to apply them.
- You have a strong command of algorithms, data structures, & best practices.
- You have a passion for improving development practices through collaboration & ingenuity.
- Youre able to understand, diagnose, & effectively articulate technical challenges & solutions.
- Youre able to handle ambiguous problems & make the tradeoffs without compromising quality.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, & have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care & dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, & membership of the Traveller community.