At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered & self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, & customer service. Since our launch in 2009, weve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - & we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud & believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable & fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Team:
Our Inventory & Operations Engineering teams focus on all of the parts of our business that make the customer experience possible. This includes building the technologies that power our financial, operational, distribution networks, & more which all work together to create a seamless, first-of-its-kind customer experience.
About the Role:
Build out both a technical strategy & an engineering team to develop products that will manage, assess, & track the quality of items we own & increase their longevity. You'll report directly to our VP of Engineering for Inventory & Operations, & are responsible for finding unique, creative, technical solutions to some very complicated business needs that will continue to drive the success of our company into the future. This role will be primarily located at our NYC HQ but will frequent our Warehouse in Secaucus, NJ. Were looking for someone who can think creatively around our full inventory lifecycle; manufacturing, repairs, quality tracking, & overall customer happiness.
What Youll Do:
- Build out a new technical team both in our New York HQ & technical offices in Galway, Ireland
- Develop novel approaches to improve the longevity & profitability of our inventory
- Design technical strategy around how we collect, reason about, & action on inventory data
- Spend significant time in our warehouses to understand the physical aspects of our inventory lifecycle
- Mentor, grow, & empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, & motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal & professional success, & enable them to become technical leaders
- Provide a strong technical & architectural vision for platforms, systems, & infrastructure
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement & standardization strategies
- Lead prioritization efforts & provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- 2+ years of people management experience leading engineering teams
- Passionate about building truly innovative products that work behind the scenes to make it all happen
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis & optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, & effectively articulate technical challenges & solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems & make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, & business need