BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news & entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, & original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News & HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
HuffPost is looking for an accurate, fast editor to handle line & copy edits across the site, reviewing text, video scripts & social media content. This is a unique opportunity to work with a variety of reporters & subject areas.
Ideal candidates will be comfortable editing breaking news, enterprise stories, lifestyle articles & in-depth features. This position will require editing a broad range of text & visual materials, so editors should have a wide knowledge base & be a quick study.
As HuffPosts last line of defense, these editors do more than fix basic grammar issues. They help reporters reframe & restructure stories as needed & serve as a critical final set of eyes on every story HuffPost publishes.
This position will work Tuesday through Saturday until at least 8 p.m. Eastern. West Coast preferred due to hours but open to remote.
- Edit stories from across all sections of HuffPost
- Edit breaking news, liveblogs, push alerts & video scripts
- Write headlines, deks & social media copy
- Assist with photo selection & ensure stories are visually appealing
- Coach reporters on how to reframe or restructure pieces as needed
- Be part of a team that serves as a newsroom resource for questions about style & standards
- Be passionate about HuffPosts mission & maintaining a consistent voice for the site
- Serve as a mentor & sounding board for reporters
- Impeccable news judgment & high editorial standards
- An expert command of grammar & AP Style
- The ability to make bigger-picture fixes to stories beyond basic copy edits
- Comfort with writing headlines & social copy
- Breaking news experience or a strong willingness to learn
- A willingness to work with reporters of all skill levels
- A excitement to work on stories of all types from hard news investigations to quick viral pieces
- A level head & the ability to make tough editorial decisions in high-pressure situations
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.