What you build & where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of databaseone born in the cloud & built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, & thrive everywhere.
About the Role
We're looking for a Senior Technical Writer to join our team & help us create outstanding documentation that educates & guides our global community of customers & open source users to success, with a particular focus on the application developer experience.
- Put yourself in the shoes of developers building applications on CockroachDB.
- Write how-tos & tutorials that help developers quickly get up & running with their preferred tools while learning & applying best practices.
- Write demo code & sample applications, & review & leverage sample code & applications written by CockroachDB engineers & external contractors, to support tutorials & other education materials, such as online training courses.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB & accompanying technologies.
- Foster collaboration with our Engineering, Product, Support, Developer Relations, & Sales teams to keep our documentation up-to-date, effective, & user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you have completed onboarding & developed enough expertise to begin your first documentation project. You will have also started to review & edit documentation written by other technical writers on the team. You will use CockroachDB hands-on throughout this experience. We believe that it's important to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will oversee documenting part of CockroachDB. You'll design & improve documentation conventions, processes, & tools to increase the effectiveness & efficiency of the documentation process. As our user base grows, you will be a part of developing the team to accommodate higher demands for education. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB & that requires excellent documentation from you & the team.
- 5-7+ years of technical writing experience.
- A passion for writing & editing developer documentation, including tactical how-tos, end-to-end developer tutorials, & detailed developer reference. You are passionate about clarity, concision, & correctness.
- Experience with Markdown, HTML, CSS, & UNIX, as well as source control systems like git.
- Familiarity with, or are willing to learn about, the various technologies that make web-scale applications function.
- A love for information. You enjoy getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- A passion for building relationships with internal & external users to get feedback & identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
Reporting to Lauren Hirata Singh, Manager, Documentation
Lauren is all about clear & concise documentation, & joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help make learning CockroachDB easy & intuitive. She is constantly grateful for the passion & dedication that both the company & open-source community has for the CockroachDB docs. Previously, Lauren worked at a few other NYC-based tech companies, & has experience as a writer on a larger Docs team, as well as being a companys only tech writer. When shes not at work, Lauren can be found spending time with her family, swimming, & watching basketball.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.