Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assemblys Manager, Social Impact supports the design, development, & implementation of education & training programs that promote access, diversity, & socioeconomic mobility for talent from underserved & overlooked communities. Read more about them here.
Working in close partnership with the Senior Director, External Affairs, the Program Manager is responsible for supporting all efforts related to program implementation, partnership development, fundraising, & overall growth & strategy of impact programs. To date, these programs have enabled nearly 1,000 adults to get new skills & pursue jobs in technology - our goal is to serve 1,000 more by the end of 2020.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with a demonstrated track record of record of working with public, private, & nonprofit organizations. Interested applicants should have experience managing complex projects, developing & maintaining external partnerships, & working with multiple stakeholders on program design, development, & execution.
Most importantly, candidates should have a commitment to social impact & a nuanced appreciation of social & policy issues affecting individuals with barriers to education & employment, as well as other marginalized communities.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, & writing sample (it can be anything, including something you wrote for someone else - we want to see how you express yourself on the page). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Heres what the job entails:
- Work with teams across the business to plan, manage, & oversee scholarship programs & initiatives designed to get members of underserved communities into tech jobs.
- Identify strategic opportunities to advance & grow GAs social impact initiatives through fundraising, program design, partnership development, & implementation.
- Team up with GA leadership to drive expansion into new markets, working in close partnership with workforce agencies, nonprofits, & government partners to secure funding & launch programs.
- Serve as the face of GA with strategic program partners, including funders, nonprofits, & government agencies; demonstrate credibility, build trust, & work collaboratively to advance shared goals.
- Advise local campus teams in multiple markets to guide program implementation, including student recruitment, selection, & ongoing student support.
- Manage operations of fundraising efforts, including prospect research, pipeline management, proposal drafting, & donor management.
- Draft & write proposals for funding for corporate social responsibility investments, government RFPs, & foundations, gathering the necessary data from across the business for detailed, comprehensive proposals.
- Manage day-to-day operations of recipient selection, scholarship tracking, accounting & attribution, & data reporting. Troubleshoot one-off problems & identify potential process improvements.
- Represent GA at industry convenings & speak on the companys behalf on social impact initiatives.
Were big believers that nothing can replace good instincts, smarts, hustle, a strong work ethic, a good attitude, & a sense of humor. With that said, candidates with the below experience will stand out:
- Program & operations management in a high-intensity, deadline-oriented, & fast-paced environment, ideally 3-5 years; experience in nonprofit, CSR, startups, philanthropy, or government is a plus.
- Ruthless organizational skills & attention to detail; strong track record of managing numerous complex projects involving multiple internal & external stakeholders.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects & priorities at once; sound judgment & strong instincts to make tradeoffs in real time while maintaining client & partner focus.
- Capacity to operate independently in an ambiguous, rapidly-changing startup-style environment; comfort adapting to rapidly shifting priorities in real time.
- Expert interpersonal & business communications skills; comfort developing written copy for external-facing audiences on tight deadlines.
- Strong data analysis skills & ability to synthesize & summarize complex information clearly & concisely using data.
Here are some of the qualities & skills that were looking for:
- You have the strategic mindset to support innovation & growth, & the operational chops to ensure that no detail gets overlooked (and you have the checklists & spreadsheets to prove it).
- You are inspired by the mission & our commitment to empowering adults through careers in tech, & maintain a relentless focus on the success of our students.
- You understand how to work with resource-constrained government organizations & nonprofits & bring a collaborative, solutions-oriented mindset built on shared goals, trust, & good faith.
- You work fast & smart; you stay two steps ahead of everyone else, your coworkers copy the way you manage your inbox, & you can crank out a last-minute funding proposal without breaking a sweat.
- You want to work with bright, collegial people in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment in which everything is dynamic & changing in real time.
- You care about education & the power that it has to transform lives & communities, & feel strong affinity for General Assemblys mission & values.