Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, Homecoming, & The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, & business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other & the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Mogul is the first highly produced narrative show about hip hop told by the people who lived it. Its a show about the moments & meetings that created the biggest hits & biggest names in hip hop music. Season 1 told the story of famed music executive Chris Lighty & featured interviews with: Warren G, Fat Joe, Russell Simmons & Nore. The New Yorker called it essential listening. Entertainment Weekly named it one of the top podcasts of 2017, describing it as a fascinating examination of the hip-hop industry & the culture of fame, masculinity, & violence that lie at the genres center. We are now working on future seasons of the show which will tell the story of other moguls in hip hop.
The Mogul team is a small & tight knit group. Youll have an active role in every part of the production process including pitching stories, gathering tape, writing scripts & participating in intensive group edits. Youll help coordinate sometimes-intense amounts of research. Were looking for someone with an insatiable curiosity, who is passionate about finding great stories in the smallest of details, & crafting those stories in a collaborative environment. Someone who is organized, but willing to go off-script when the story leads them down a rabbit hole. And were looking for someone who can bring new ideas to the table when it comes to compelling ways to tell stories.
What Youll Do
- Book, plan, & edit interviews with the shows host
- Gather field & archival audio
- Structure & write show segments & episodes
- Direct host voicing & edit tracks
- Coordinate external help (researchers, transcribers, etc.)
What You Have
- A strong sense of what makes a good story & how to structure it
- A love of collaboration & the ability to be creative in a group setting
- An ability to manage multiple projects
- 2+ years in narrative production (audio, film, print)
- Experience tracking down leads & booking guests
- An enthusiasm for hip hop
- Pro Tools or other editing software experience a plus, though not required
- A willingness to step in where needed, to learn new skills, & to work with a team
What You Should Submit
Please send a resume, cover letter, & short answers (250 words or less) to these two questions:
- If you were going to choose a Mogul for an upcoming season. How would you tell their story in 6 chapters/episodes. Please send 1 paragraph description of why you choose this person & then 3 sentences to describe each of the 6 chapters.
- What was was your favorite moment in Mogul season 2 & why? What do you think was the least successful part of season 2 of Mogul & why?
- Please also include 2-3 links to examples of past work if you have them.
This posting will close Friday, January 31 at 5pm Eastern.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible role based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.