Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Junior Designer - Interiors to join our Design Studio to create homes for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide architectural services to our partners through concept mood boards, construction drawings, technical specifications, & sketch renderings. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is an opportunity for a talented designer to help conceptualize & execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale.
- To assist the Interior Design team with the development of graphic standards & business processes from scratch
- Production & management of deliverables: interior design drawing sets, concept mood boards, material studies, specifications, & construction administration
- Aids in the production of finishes & fixture selections
- Support the Interior Designers by providing project account management between owners, architects, & contractors with excellent customer service
- Assist the Interior Design team with multiple aspects of client, team & project coordination, including architectural documentation, 3-D modeling & renderings
- Provide support in the production of drawing sets, brand specifications & design development tasks
- Work closely with the Designers to ensure project design intent is on brand & follows architectural best practices
- Design & produce compelling design concept mood boards in collaboration with the FF&E Specialist team to set one comprehensive vision
- Understanding of space planning, & phases of design drawings, ability to support the Interior Architecture team with all phases of production, from concept to construction administration.
- Travel as required for several days at a time, approximately every 6 weeks
- Other duties & ad hoc projects from time to time & based on business needs
- Sharp eye for interior design & finishes required
- Experience & familiarity with finishes, materials & fixtures
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning
- Candidates must be very organized & be able to multitask across a large number of projects
- Candidates must have a talent for customer service & client management
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, & workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master's Degree in Architecture or Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) required.
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign is required
- Revit experience preferred
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign is required.
- Revit experience is preferred
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.