Were looking for experienced Senior Front End Developers to help us design, build, & grow beautifully crafted products to support our growing business. In this role you will build tools for others to use, contributing to Rituals overall efficiency & effectiveness. We are looking for someone with a passion for developing, who creates clean, reusable, & robust systems. This role entails more than just building pages - you will actively work to improve the infrastructure of our system. You will plan projects alongside our Product Management team, write & review code, fix bugs, & collaborate with other teams at Ritual to streamline Engineering processes. If you value simplicity, work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment, & are excited to learn, wed like to talk to you.
Technical leadership at Ritual requires impact & ownership. A Senior Developer at Ritual is expected to be effective in the following areas:
- Contribute to architecture:You understand large areas of our system & are able to reuse or add new components to existing architecture
- Scalability & performance:You are always mindful of scalability & demonstrate a meaningful understanding of scalable design & performance choices
- From product requirement to feature delivery:You work independently or lead a small team that can quickly turn product requirements into testable experiments & production ready code
- Code quality & code review:You have passion for quality code & maintain a high standard of style; enforce/update existing patterns
- Team oriented:You build tools that makes the whole team more productive. Improve tools & processes when needed
- Knowledge transfer & mentorship:You share the knowledge you've gathered & help the rest of the team grow
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience delivering high quality software
- Experience with React/Redux building elegant, robust, & reusable UI components & frameworks
- Coding skills in Node.js Express
- Passion for web technologies & improving infrastructure
- Interest in working on a rapidly changing, ever-evolving systems
Big Plus If
- You have Java experience
- You are familiar with Google App Engine
- You have experience working with DevOps & Microservices
- You consider yourself to have artistic inclinations
- You have experience building Content Management Systems
What we offer
- Opportunity to work on an amazing consumer-facing product that our customers love
- Competitive compensation package & equity in the business
- Healthcare coverage & a generous vacation policy
- A daily credit in-app credit towards lunches & coffees
- Your choice of the development environment to make you most productive
- A pantry full of snacks
- Fun company-sponsored events & off sites
About the Team
The engineering team at Ritual is a small & tight-knit unit. We are driven to deliver high-quality software as quickly as possible to our end users. We are extremely data-driven in our decisions about the product & constantly iterate to provide best customer experience. We are problem solvers, while remaining business-minded & customer-focused.
On the front-end, we use Node.js Express for our service APIs, & React along with Redux for our client web app. Our legacy web systems are served by Java servlets, with Jquery, Bootstrap, & HTML to build the clients.
On the back-end, we are mostly a Java shop hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are currently in the process of transitioning a monolithic codebase on AppEngine to microservices using Docker/Kubernetes communicating over gRPC. Our data layer is mainly in MySQL, Memcache, & BigQuery. We take a project-based agile approach to software development.
Rituals mission is to digitize local commerce. We are an online marketplace connecting consumers to their local merchants to make the purchasing of goods & services more efficient. Ritual was founded in 2014 in Toronto by a group of serial entrepreneurs & ex-Googlers with the vision of bringing digital efficiency to the local commerce space. Since then, the company has grown to 290+ people & has raised $150 million in venture funding.