theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms Operations Team is a group of fast-moving & analytical thinkers who thrive on getting stuff done. As a lean team at theSkimm, we do more with less & we hustle. Nobody is too senior or too junior to do something. Everybody executes, & we are always in growth mode.
As we grow, we're looking to hire a Staff Accountant to help scale the Accounting function & support the needs of a growing company. Reporting to theSkimm's Controller, youll work closely with our lean Finance team & department heads across the company. The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for assisting in the month-end close process & will be focused on the analysis & reporting of both revenue & expense items across the company. This role is key in enhancing the efficiency & structure of theSkimms control processes & the clarity of our financial statements.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Support our month-end close process & financial statement preparation
- Prepare journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, & maintain all relevant supporting schedules
- Support Accounts Payable function through invoice coding & maintaining relationships with vendors
- Support the expense management & classification process by helping to classify monthly corporate credit card statements
- Work with our Revenue Operations team to create invoices & manage account aging file for the Accounts Receivable function
- Assist in theSkimms external financial audit by providing support & key analyses
- Develop & improve processes that support growth in the Accounting function
- Manage ad hoc, cross-functional strategic projects as needed to ensure the Accounting function scales with the rest of our business
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2+ years of accounting experience
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- Experience with Quickbooks, Bill.com, Tallie & Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Powerpoint)
- Self-starter with an eagerness to learn new skills that will allow you to engage with adjacent business functions
- Highly organized with a track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Start-up experience, or experience is a rapidly growing Finance team
- CPA (a plus but not required)
- Public accounting experience (a plus but not required)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sipn Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs & lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly Skimme A Drink! happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY