ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm marketing team is a group of fast-moving, data-driven, & creative thinkers who nurture & grow theSkimm brand & community while driving membership & engagement across all platforms. The Audience Development Manager role will be leveraging both paid & unpaid partner relationships to grow newsletter subscribers, podcast listeners, & web visitors.
The Audience Development Manager will report to the Vice President, Growth Marketing. Were looking for a savvy audience development professional who is adept at discovering & leveraging creative audience acquisition opportunities at scale. You will be responsible for establishing & growing content partnerships & other related tactics to drive a relevant, high-value, & diverse audience to theSkimm platforms. The ideal candidate is a self-starter & an innovative problem-solver who is excited about by the opportunity to spearhead a critical & highly collaborative function at theSkimm.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Proactively identify, establish, & execute relationships with content/traffic exchange partners -- creating recurrent collaborations that drive audience acquisition - inclusive of (but not limited to): affiliates, barters, & swaps with publishers, distribution platforms, & content creators.
- Focus on leveraging ongoing content relationships that drive diverse new audiences to theSkimm properties.
- Manage & grow audience to our audio products, including but not limited to: leveraging audio distribution partners for native promotional opportunities, identifying & coordinating with new distribution partners, assisting with programming coordination with audio producers as needed to support partners.
- Work closely with content teams to craft & optimize pitches & outreach strategies.
- Strong test & learn orientation, able & willing to test quickly into new ideas, measure success, & pivot as needed to sustain growth momentum.
- Proactively research prospective platform partners across web, email, social & audio properties -- inclusive of competitive research & analysis.
- Create & own CRM/contact management processes, taking into account the full view of partner outreach & management.
- Track ROI for all campaigns & initiatives using analytical platforms such as Google Analytics & suggesting additional measurement tools as needed.
- Work & collaborate closely with VP of Business Development & Director of Brand, Partnerships & Events to ensure strategic alignment --inclusive of (but not limited to) facilitating handovers & transitions of Brand campaign partners to ongoing partner relationships & ongoing content partners to larger Brand initiatives.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ years of full-time experience in audience development, content partnerships, and/or affiliate marketing in digital media/publishing or in support of content/distribution platforms.
- Strong client/ external partner management experience with exceptional presentation skills - solid negotiation skills.
- Ability to collaborate & work cross-functionally, specifically with editorial, brand, growth, & other partnership colleagues.
- Experience working closely with content teams.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify trends & provide action-oriented insights.
- Outstanding written & verbal communication skills with the ability to explain & translate concepts into intuitive & friendly communications.
- Experience with podcast audience growth a plus.
- Experience working with or for media platforms that serve diverse audiences a huge plus.
- Passion for theSkimm's brand & products.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.