The world's most highly evolved SQL database.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. We created CockroachDB & our self-service, fully managed cloud offerings of CockroachDB (Dedicated & Serverless) to deliver the ability to build & scale apps with fewer obstacles, more freedom, & greater efficiency. Today, Cockroach Labs enables companies of all sizesand the apps they developto scale fast, survive disaster, & thrive everywhere. Join us on our mission to provide the most trusted global database to run mission-critical apps for the worlds most important businesses.
About the Role
CockroachDB has established product-market fit for our cloud/DBaaS offering among data leaders of all sizes & revenue segments. There is a real opportunity in front of us to hit escape velocity. The Growth team is on a mission to drive that effort & accelerate customer acquisition, adoption, monetization, retention, & expansion for our cloud/DBaaS business. As a new Growth team, we are tasked with the foundational work of better understanding & optimizing the user journey. This is a great opportunity to help shape the direction, culture, process, & tooling that make an impact in this area. Our approach is both customer-focused & data-driven. It is a high-trusting, high-performing, no-ego team with extreme ownership on the outcomes.
Practically, we are looking for someone with a Growth mindset who can generate ideas, coordinate across teams, make data-driven decisions, & is able to execute iteratively, learn & adapt to help elevate CockroachDB Cloud to become the database of choice for building world-changing applications.
- Be business context-aware & deliver high throughput in an environment filled with ambiguity.
- Take a hypothesis-focused approach & live in the world of iterative experimentation.
- Create impact through metrics, conversion rates, drop-offs, activation, engagement, & more. Know when to use data, but not let the data dictate all possible pathways.
- Be comfortable with failing, & in fact, look forward to the learnings.
- Learn from product, data, sales, support, marketing, & your fellow engineers to understand our customers at a fundamental level.
- Collaborate with Product, Data, Design, & Engineering to create strategic customer value.
- Collaborate closely with your Engineering teammates & partner with them on complex problems.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachDB as a consumer product by designing, building, & testing compelling systems with a focus on the frontend.
In the first two months, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You'll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflow, & the architecture for CockroachDB & CockroachDB Cloud. We believe that it is essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company. You'll develop hands-on experience in using the product, workflows, & functionalities, & get an understanding of our objectives & goals. You will pick up starter tasks to get some hands-on experience with the codebase while getting support from your team.
After three months, you will be a fully-fledged member of the team. The Growth team is a high velocity, low dependency team where we look for opportunities to lean into hypotheses, iterate quickly, & learn & adapt based on customer usage & needs. You will start to be more comfortable in this environment & will have the ability to work on different areas where you can experiment & learn quickly. You will have a better understanding of the objectives & goals of our team & will start to collaborate with our key stakeholders to accomplish these goals.
After six months, you will have shipped & iterated on some meaningful Growth work in CockroachDB Cloud. You will be comfortable working on the Growth team & have more informed opinions about different areas to focus on, opportunities, blockers, & experiments we could run. You will have gained a good understanding of the customer journey & know where we can help remove friction & accelerate our Cloud business. You will have built relationships with colleagues throughout the company & use the personal connections you forged to iterate rapidly & keep development running smoothly for yourself & any collaborators on your projects.
- Ideally have experience as a developer on a Product Led Growth team & environment.
- Ideally 3+ years of experience as a developer in a product-focused role but the number of years matters less than your previous accomplishments & the mindset you bring.
- A passion for building beautiful, intuitive, & responsive user experiences that help people succeed at their jobs.
- An understanding of how to deliver value within a rapid, iterative, & data-driven release cycle.
- Experience building modern, highly available web applications.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Bonus: Experience working with relational databases & SQL.
- Bonus: Experience with products like Segment, Amplitude, Appcues, Looker, Snowflake for data analytics.
- Bonus: Experience with Experimentation tools & running in-product experiments.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Reporting to Zane Teh - Senior Engineering Manager
Zane joined Cockroach Labs in 2021 & leads the Cloud Growth engineering team at Cockroach Labs. Previously, he spent years building consumer & entertainment experiences for products like Xbox & Hulu. He was attracted to the people & culture at Cockroach Labs & the incredible opportunity to help drive Growth of our cloud products & to enable a world class front-end environment, team, & product. Zane is originally from Victoria, BC, Canada but now lives just outside of Seattle in Redmond, WA with his wife & 2 daughters. Outside of work he enjoys finding balance & staying active with fitness/sports (basketball, soccer, running) or spending quality time with family & friends.
Key Partner - Vivek Balasubramanian - VP, Product Growth
Vivek heads Product Growth at Cockroach Labs & is responsible for the PLG (Product Led Growth) transformation we are going through. He joined Cockroach labs in 2022, & is responsible for enhancing the role product plays in acquisition & expansion & building out our self-serve & sales-assist motions. Prior to Cockroach Labs, he held Product Growth leadership roles at various high growth SaaS companies like Shopify & WaveHQ, & spent most of his career focused on strategizing, optimizing & monetizing product workflows. Outside of Cockroach Labs, he loves traveling & spends his time with his wife, 17 month old son, & his goldendoodle puppy.
- Competitive health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support or home office support if youre remote
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.