Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Senior Software Engineer for Web to join our Engineering team in our Los Angeles office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
In Engineering, we are building reliable & maintainable applications, infrastructure, & interfaces that make interacting with the health care system easier for everyone -- members, providers, & (yes!) ourselves. As an Oscar Engineer, youll be joining a tight knit, passionate team, & leading the designs of world class web & mobile user experiences, influencing how we design infrastructure & complex full stack systems & applications.
Oscars next generation of complex, feature rich, business critical services, data architecture, & scalable infrastructure.Youll mentor engineers to help them design for stability, performance, & scalability across services or clients. We take pride in our ability to move quickly (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), & our willingness to tackle big problems (frequency === everyday).
While our technology team of over 100 works in Soho, NYC, we are looking to build out a core team in our Los Angeles location. This is a unique opportunity to have the resources, scale, & stability of an established technology company, but have the freedom & flexibility of an 8 person startup.
What we're actually doing:
The following is a list of projects our team is currently working on:
- Developing the infrastructure to support multi-channel communication as our membership base grows from 250k to a million & beyond
- Building a workflow engine to allow teams across Oscar to build configurable experiences to deliver information to our members, providers, & others
You at Oscar:
- You have been programming professionally for 6+ years working with a variety of technologies, & have increasingly impactful accomplishments
- You care about what you do.
- You care about what we do.
- Youre willing & able to learn quickly, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isnt!
- You have a proven track record of building beautiful interfaces that are a joy to use.
- You consistently improve the quality of what you build, via strong technical contributions as well as through partnership/influence on both product & design.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is a key ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Life at Oscar
Our more than 1,000 employees aim to make health care affordable & accessible for all. We apply this same vision to our perks & benefits, including: medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.