Compass, headquartered in NYC, is building the most advanced real estate technology in the world. Founded in 2012, Compass operates in 15 markets across the country with over 7,000 real estate agents nationwide. With support from top investors such as Softbank, Fidelity, Wellington, & IVP, Compass is experiencing massive growth & helping everyone find their place in the world.
Compass is looking for an exceptional Controller to play a key role in developing a world class Accounting department based in New York City.
At Compass You Will:
- Oversee the general accounting function, which includes management of the monthly close process, cash account reconciliation, financial reporting, & general ledger
- Ensure the accuracy of the general ledger & subsidiary ledgers, including month-end & annual closings; oversee the maintenance of supporting schedules & reconciliations
- Ensures that company financial records are maintained in compliance with company policies & US GAAP. Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations & other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Responsible for proper timing & application of revenue recognition rules.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies & procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Coordinates work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance & support to all company entities. At times, this may include involvement in due diligence & other activities surrounding acquisitions/dispositions.
- Assist with development, review & analysis of the Annual Operating Plan
- Lead quarterly & annual consolidations process
- Prepare the monthly, quarterly & year-end GAAP financial statements
- Collaborate on developing the long-term plans & strategic goals for the Accounting department
- Manage a team, & take a strong interest in developing the careers of the team members
What We Are Looking For:
- Minimum of 15 years of experience, including manager experience in public accounting
- CPA required
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls & financial reporting, required.
- Experience working in accounting department of a publicly traded, Sarbanes-Oxley compliant company strongly recommended
- Demonstrated ability to improve processes & procedures
- Self-starter, positive attitude, zero ego, & ability to problem-solve with minimal supervision
- Proven experience building, mentoring, motivating & leading high performance teams & attracting & retaining top talent.
- Ability to interact with senior management with confidence & credibility
- Excellent communication & leadership skills are mandatory
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks within an open & interactive environment
- Proactive, always seeking additional responsibility
- Must have a passion for getting things done, & an appreciation for details.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place.