Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to dogs across the world & use all that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
If the BARK experience is a theatrical production, the Merchandising & Supply Chain teams are the wizards behind the curtain ensuring everything is on plan to allow us to make millions of dogs happy. We are focused on getting the right product, best quality, at the right cost, to each customer. We are obsessed with creating product portfolios that are fun & healthy for every pup & are relentless in our performance, but we're not afraid to have fun along the way! We like to think we're superheroes that your dog doesn't even know about. No capes, but we type faster than you can fly & don't rest until pups are barking with excitement in anticipation of BARK products landing on their doorstep.
WHO WERE SNIFFING FOR
The VP Merchandising is responsible for delivering happiness to millions of pups & pup parents every day. In this senior role, you will manage Merchandising teams who are responsible for; (1) working closely with cross functional teams to develop & streamline a product portfolio to support omni-channel sales that will continue to engage & delight our customers, (2) curate product strategies & lead strategic initiatives to support quality, safety, customer experience, & revenue goals, (3) have a deep understanding of the demand forecasts across all sales channels & be accountable for the decisions made from that forecast, (4) work closely with creative & design teams to develop & execute new products, concepts, events, & strategies that will exceed customer expectations of our customers, (5) responsible for al product financial performance.
In this role, you will lead & develop a team of experts who are analytical, responsible for the development of product portfolios across multiple categories, report sales trends at SKU or service level, & make decisions quickly based on accurate data. In this role, you will also partner with Human Resources to attract, hire, & develop talent to build a strong organization & culture that align with the BARK values. To be successful in this role, you must obsess over strategy, leadership, & products that excite customers, while being ready to challenge business plans, operations, & partners. You are an analytical person who thrives operating in a fast-paced, goals-oriented company where everyone is responsible for delivering results. And you like dogs. A lot.
- Define & maintain the vision for the merchandising team, Lead team in developing new product assortment & concepts that will surprise & delight customers in our own BARK way, while ensuring resources are allocated efficiently & effectively.
- Develop strategic short & long-term business plans to meet or exceed BARK company goals. Accountable for delivering on demand, margin %, & margin dollars.
- Support fiscal discipline through adherence to & reconciliation of Merchandise Financial Plans; pricing effectively for in-season inventory management & pre-season guardrails
- Analyze assortment health, identifying sales opportunities & diagnose inventory liabilities partnering with Planning & Inventory Management teams
- Lead development of division specific event calendar to optimize division demand & margin, ensure new, fresh styles & events on a daily, monthly, & yearly basis..
- Lead & develop direct reports through one-on-one & staff meetings to address developmental opportunities & provide direction on open initiatives. Motivate, coach, & inspire to drive for results both within the team & cross-functionally by connecting how each teams work ties to organizational goals.
- Have a strong executive presence, & should be able to represent merchandising at BARK Leadership meetings, as well as external forums
- Minimum 15 years buying or retail merchandising experience in the merchandising industry; with 10 years at the management level
- eCommerce & Retail Merchandising experience with managing & supporting a high-sales volume category (high SKU count, heavy seasonality, high revenue ($500M+)) preferred
- Experience negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery/ payment terms)
- Experience in Planning, purchasing & financial accountability preferred
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials & the ability to manage profitability
- Proficient in MS Excel, & good analytical skills, with statistical background preferred
This position is a full-time salaried, exempt position. It is located on-site at our office in New York City. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
FOR NJ/NY BASED APPLICANTS:
- The base salary range for this position is $201,000- $250,000
- This position is eligible for equity
- This role is eligible to participate in the Management Incentive Plan
- To learn more about the perks & benefits offered with this position, please check out our Benefits page here
**This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting & may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills & expertise.