What you can expect to work on in this role:
Backend Systems is the core of the Betterment platform. On a busy day, we need to securely move millions of dollars through the Betterment system. At the same time, every transaction must flow through a complicated series of risk checks to ensure strict regulatory compliance. Every ounce of efficiency & intelligence we pour into this system translates into more value for our customers. Were looking for engineers to help us answer some of our most difficult backend scaling, software design, & optimization questions. As the Engineering Manager for the Custody team, you'll help balance on-time delivery of new Custody features alongside system stability & scale, all while helping mentor & grow a team of amazing engineers.
You will guide the team to answer questions like:
- How can we decompose long-term Custody projects into small, releasable achievements that provide incremental value to our customers?
- How can we increase the efficiency of our systems by an order of magnitude to align with future scaling requirements?
- What code patterns & testing approaches do we need to guarantee that we never, ever fail in an unexpected or undefined way?
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, & access to smart decisions help us to achieve it
- Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat
- Collaborate, with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & figure out how to make Betterments revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through openness. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible
- Craft efficiency. Our software helps customers save time & money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, & lean engineering
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. Were a group of talented engineers who pride ourselves on what we do
- Were smart, creative, high-energy, & lots of fun
You will be effective if you have:
- Enjoy hands-on managing, mentoring, & inspiring a team of talented engineers
- Have a real passion for software engineering & building what doesnt yet exist
- Expertise in Java, Spring, & Hibernate (or a similar server-side stack)
- Enjoy discussions about trading algorithms & mathematical optimization problems
- Know when to make the trade-offs required to ship without compromising quality
- Appreciate that investing in solid tests pays for itself several times over
- Value agility & pragmatism in software development
- Have a track record of leading highly productive engineering teams
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $16 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 400,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.