Why choose FreshDirect? We are an innovative Food Technology company offering an environment where you can grow a career & feed your future.
Position Summary: The Category Merchant will initiate development & management of strategic product assortment including placement, pricing, & promotion of the category. The Merchant will have the responsibility for the full sales, gross margin & establishment of market share within the overall goals set by the company. The ideal candidate should have a background as a Buyer or Merchant, must have a passion food, & be analytical, curious & creative. An understanding of e-commerce will be helpful.
- Has full P&L responsibility for assigned category
- Owns category assortment including SKU mix, design & seasonality
- Develops annual budget & forecast for product assortment
- Develops & implements strategic plans for product assortment within the category
- Interacts with vendors to develop sales plans, programs & promotions that meet both organizations' goals & objectives
- Establishes retail pricing guidelines, gross profit, sales objectives, & program & inventory turn objectives to maximize profit potential in conjunction with the Annual Operating Plan.
- Sources innovative new products, ideas & promotions including the ability to get in/out of trends quickly
- Maintains ongoing data analysis of competitive pricing
- Optimize sales & gross margin & the achievement of sales & gross margin budgets for the assigned category
- Keeps the DMM of Merchandising informed of progress, potentially controversial matters or far-reaching implications
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- BS/BA with a specialization in business preferred
- Minimum six (6) years in a Buying or Merchandising role with some management experience
- Demonstrated working experience in marketing strategies, vendor & product negotiations, item & promotions
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in email (outlook) & above standard excel skills
- Financial acumen & analytical skills a must
- A passion & desire to work with food is a MUST
- Deep understanding of building a category (category management) & vendor management (building & maintaining relationships) required
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to be creative, resourceful, pro-active & innovative
- Must be open-minded, able to switch priorities based on business needs & disciplined
- Excellent leadership, negotiating, & planning skills a must
- Strong writing, presentation, & communication skills
- Comfortable juggling & coordinating multiple projects across several key marketing channels simultaneously
- Experience working across business units to leverage resources & capabilities to accomplish company goals
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature & level of work being performed by the Team member(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, & skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, FreshDirect does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or on any other basis prohibited by law. Furthermore, FreshDirect will not discriminate against any applicant or employee because he or she is disabled, a disabled veteran, or a veteran of the Vietnam era, provided he or she is qualified & meets the requirements established by FreshDirect for the job.