Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
DigitalOceans Cloud Storage Team is welcoming a new technical engineering manager to support our engineers, grow our culture, & lead the team developing our software-defined Storage products. This person will be responsible for guiding the development of a mixed-skill engineering team, facilitating communications, providing clarity of vision & priority, & empowering the team to create creative solutions for our partners & customers.
The Storage Edge Team focuses on supporting the operations & development of business logic, middleware, edge, & API solutions of DigitalOcean Storage products such as our S3-compatible object store, Spaces & our distributed block storage solution, Volumes.
We are excited to meet candidates who share our passions for technology solutions, healthy services, & being loving service providers, team members, & leaders. This role is currently only available remotely & will be supporting a fully remote team of engineers.
What Youll Be Working On:
- Growing & leading a highly-collaborative remote engineering team
- Developing & shepherding complex cloud storage engineering projects
- Introducing & improving processes for team performance & quality-of-life
- Helping the team achieve higher standards of performance & product quality
- Collaborating with product owners & cross-functional teams to design idiomatic, feature-rich, & operationally sustainable software solutions
- Developing personal growth plans, providing feedback, & supporting the goals of individual team members & the team as a whole
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication & a fair, but growth-oriented, distribution of responsibilities between team members
- Providing coaching & counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience managing, coaching, & mentoring software engineers
- Domain experience with the cloud, storage, and/or physical infrastructure systems
- Experience shipping products at scale & on-time, with a focus on the customer
- Experience managing & delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC
- Experience developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, & product groups
- Experience with end-to-end quality best practices & their implementation
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, building, & retaining teams
- Experience conveying complex ideas in written, verbal & presentational formats
- Working knowledge of Ceph is a bonus but not required
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
**This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!