The VP, Podcasts, Topic Studio oversees the development & production of podcasts for Topic Studios. The VP creates & executes the creative/editorial vision & strategy for Podcasts, & works across departments & with partners to produce shows & take them to market. This role will be a thought leader for the Studios podcast strategy & partner to the Head of the Studio in shaping & driving the business within overall Studio strategy. Along with Studio verticals in TV, Film & Documentary, Podcasts will align with Topic Studios creative vision & revenue goals. With a deep understanding of the podcast marketplace, the VP will optimize our approach to sales & sponsorship, brand building, & identifying areas for growth in a rapidly changing industry; commission shows & strategize sales & marketing plans that will break through the noise in the current marketplace, andscale the business as we grow it.
The role will report to the EVP/Head of Topic Studios in New York City.The VP of Podcasts,Topic Studioswill further build the companys presence in the podcasting marketplace, & establish & lead an intimate department in the companys NY office. Additionally, the Senior Producer, Podcasts, based in the Studios sister company The Intercept, will split report to the VP & provide podcasts based on Intercept IP (currently running & to-be-developed) for the VP to bring to market.
The ideal candidate will have a proven sales track record at a premium podcast outlet; sophisticated taste & superior development skills; be a self-starter with a book of existing creative & buyer contacts that enable them to hit the ground running; possess the desire & drive to build a brand & a portfolio of business; excellent communication skills; & will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Create an editorial vision for a podcast slate of the highest quality that creates a distinctive voice, character & brand for Topic podcasts.
- Develop & execute strategy for Studios podcast distribution & monetization, including sponsorship approach for ad-supported podcasts.
- Partner with other Studio verticals (TV, Film, Documentary) to create podcasts from Studio IP, cross-promote shows, & provide source material for shows in other formats derived from Topic podcasts.
- Pitch programming to distributors for sale.
- Cultivate talent & creators that help shape Topic voice/brand, including bringing new talent to the medium.
- Guide the development process with talent & production teams, including pilot production, giving editorial notes & feedback throughout the production process (scripts, rough cuts, fine cuts, promos).
- Hire prodcos to projects and/or creating production teams
- Build & manage relationships with podcast production companies to partner on projects
- Curate a selective podcast slate of the highest quality in both fiction & nonfiction genres: solicit & evaluate pitches & submissions; generate ideas; develop show ideas with internal & external talent.
- Oversee pilot/sizzle production & creation of pitch materials for projects in development.
- Guide production partners on schedule, workflow, & budgeting for projects; audio deliverables & standards & ensuring compliance.
- Manage budget for the podcast department.
- Coordinate marketing & PR with talent, prodcos, & internal marketing/PR team (e.g., key art, social media strategy, podcast websites, press).
- Oversee launch logistics with distribution partners (e.g. promos, rollout details).
- Consult with Topic Facilities on the creation & management of three in-house podcast studios (NY, DC, LA).
- Collaborate closely with Topics outside podcast agent on go to market strategy for slate.
- Maintain Studio audio equipment supply & overseeing loaning out for projects.
- Coordinate audio distribution with partners (e.g. Art19, Megaphone, etc).
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum 8 years of experience in podcast/audio industry.
- Minimum 5 years in a producer/creative executive/seller capacity in the audio business, & preferably experiences in each of the three roles.
- Self-starter with ability to build & run a sector of a business.
- Excellentknowledge of podcast outlets andstrong relationships with buyers
- Comfortable with a high degree of autonomy
- Command of producers, production companies, writers & talent in thespaceas potential attachments & partners, good eye for talent
- A strong creative presence that possesses a strategic mind-set & has the ability to promote a collaborative environment.
- Experience in generating & taking pitches
- Creative storytelling expertise & extensivehands-on experience giving notes to creators on outlines & scripts
- Comfort with a wide range of genres of material
Topic is the entertainment studio & ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) & podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices & supporting established ones.
ABOUT FIRST LOOK MEDIA:
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy & a vibrant culture.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.