Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia & D.C, & offer in-office, hybrid, & remote working based on role & location.
About the Role:
You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a category-creating company that is making investing smarter, easier, & more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment & outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, & quick to learn. You can communicate clearly & persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You can thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment & are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact & are always seeking new & improved ways of doing things. You are adept at managing competing priorities & thrive building processes to standardize recurring tasks.
A Day in the Life:
- Navigate legal & regulatory requirements, operational issues, & related matters
- Support Betterment at Work, our 401(k) business line, as it scales
- Evaluate & advise on legal issues pertaining to our retirement plan programs, including ERISA
- Support Betterments new crypto offering as it scales, & advise on legal & regulatory issues related to crypto
- Negotiate complex commercial agreements & advise our client success & sales teams
- Build & improve our standard form agreements & legal processes
- Assist our product organization in developing & implementing new features & products, including drafting customer agreements, disclosures, & related documentation
- Help to resolve & avoid potential disputes
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
What Were Looking For:
- A JD, admission to a state bar, & at least 4 years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- An adaptable mindset & innate curiosity
- A bias toward action & solving problems, not just issue spotting
- The ability to take ownership over your work & manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity & creating simplicity where possible
- Passion for Betterments product & mission
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Knowledge of ERISA & related regulations
- Knowledge of crypto & related regulatory environment
- A background in negotiating commercial agreements
- Familiarity with privacy and/or information security issues
- Experience in retail financial services
- In-house experience at a startup or high growth company
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self & make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- Youll have flexible paid time off, & a team that cares about you, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.