SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY TECHNICIAN
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Technicians will be responsible for regulatory requirements relating to OSHA, TCEQ, RCRA, EPA, & DOT requirements. Works with engineers & technicians daily to ensure our manufacturing facility can support manufacturing goals while meeting all environmental, health, & safety objectives.
Health & Safety
- Perform boots on the ground safety oversight by Identifying & correcting work place hazards & unsafe conditions
- Monitor employee exposure to job & chemical hazards as regulated by OSHA permissible exposure limits
- Assist in the implementation & compliance of site-specific safety policies
- Assist in the creation of job hazard analysis & personal protective equipment (PPE) assessments
- Perform department specific safety surveys using inspection forms to ensure employees are utilizing safe work practices such as utilizing proper PPE, minimizing trip hazards, wearing fall protection etc.
- Ensure notification & corrective actions are put in place when any unsafe condition is presented or found throughout the site
- Assist the EHS engineers in accident/mishap investigations when necessary
- Perform tasks related to resource conservation & recovery act (RCRA) regulatory hazardous waste handling, storage & disposal requirements
- Monitor & manage levels of hazardous waste at each departments satellite accumulation area
- Ensure all waste is properly labeled
- Ensure all waste is properly stored, according to its classification.
- Accurately record & maintain 90-day hazardous waste drum logs, hazardous waste sign in sheets, VOC solvent usage logs
- Accurately perform all required hazardous waste & hazardous material storage area inspections
- Assist in waste shipments with the waste disposal contractor.
- Perform weekly storm water inspections per the SWPPP
- Perform tasks related to spill response/prevention
- Implement the spill prevention countermeasures & control plan (SPCC) throughout the facility.
- Perform environmental compliance & due diligence audits
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience implementing & overseeing aspects related to an environmental, health & safety program
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in managing hazardous waste storage & satellite accumulation areas
- Experience in performing boots on the ground safety oversight
- Experience implementing/developing health & safety plans & policies
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous & non-hazardous material releases to air, soil & water
- Demonstrated strong propensity for hands-on work & attention to detail in either academic or career pursuits
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities & to follow through on projects with minimal supervision
- Previous experience in a construction/industrial environment
- Strong organizational & communication skills are essential
- Ability to work in high-volume, fast paced environment
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Must be willing to work overtime & weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
Level 2: $28.00 - $37.00/hour
Level 3: $33.00 - $43.00/hour
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Non-exempt Washington employees are eligible for sick leave in accordance with Washington's Sick Leave policies.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.