IEX is looking for a Junior Systems Reliability Engineer to join our team responsible for building, maintaining & operating our US Equities Exchange.
What You Can Expect to Do:
Youll work on the team responsible for daily operations & evolution of the IEX systems that comprise our exchange, including both network devices & Linux-based servers. Youll have opportunities to develop skills in systems theory, network design, distributed systems engineering, automation, & monitoring. Youll get to work alongside experts & learn all about the inner workings of the US capital markets & equities trading. The role also comes with the knowledge that the work you are doing actually matters, both to the company & to the world at large.
Youll get hands on experience with customized distributions, kernel patching, building, tuning, & bypass, & a familiarity with low-latency practices & optimizations. Youll also get to work with a variety of database technologies from relational to time-series as we prefer to use the right tool for the job when storing & analyzing our vast amounts of data.
Youll get to dive in as deep as you want while working with & on our many private networks on networking topics such as security, routing protocols, multicast networks, low latency concerns, multiple vendor hardware profiles, WAN connectivity, & large-scale interconnect situations.
About the Team:
This team manages bare metal as well as virtualized infrastructure, primarily usingAnsible,Rundeck,bash,python, andgoto build, deploy, & monitor our stuff.
- Linux experience You know your way around & are comfortable on a command line. Youve probably had access to production linux systems before.
- Programming experience Youve thrown shell or other scripting language type of scripts together to automate things you dont need to spend your time on. You use a versioning system, preferably git. Maybe youve even written some small applications that do some interesting things: data analysis ( jupyter notebooks are awesome! ), batch or other type of large scale processing, etc You write tests for your code, or at least attempt to more often than not.
- Automation experience You at least have used cron & written scripts, maybe even have graduated to something more like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet. You get annoyed at manual processes that can be easily automated & do what you can to prevent yourself from being a human keyboard.
- Networking experience you know what networking is & why its important. You know the different parts of the OSI stack & roughly where to look when you encounter issues with two things that are supposed to be communicating are not. Youve definitely used tcpdump before to troubleshoot an issue before pinging ( get it? ) a network engineer & saying its the network. Bonus points for familiarity with DNS, DHCP, ARP & knowing your way around IP addressing, subnets & CIDR.
- Monitoring experience Any monitoring experience is great. Were more interested in your thought process & having an approach that is thoughtful about what to monitor & why, along with designing actionable alerts.
- Nice-to-Haves: The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, willing to engage in & be calm during stressful situations, & able to communicate openly & effectively. Were looking for someone willing to learn as much as possible & take on increasing levels of responsibility while having fun & helping us continue to deliver & operate reliable systems.
Further Reading that Might be Interesting:
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace & culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws & protects workers' rights but is vital to IEXs overall mission & values.