Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Job:
As Corporate Counsel, you will play a key role in a variety of legal matters, ranging from drafting & negotiating contracts, structuring partnership opportunities, overseeing the Legal teams vendor contract processes, to advising on marketing plans. As a savvy corporate generalist, you will work with key partners across the business & will be a trusted legal advisor to Rent the Runways marketing, partnerships, & operations teams.
You will report to the General Counsel & work collaboratively with the other members of the Legal team. You will work from Rent the Runways Brooklyn headquarters at least three days per week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursday), & will have the option to work remotely during the remainder of the week.
What Youll Do:
- Draft, negotiate, & review commercial contracts covering a broad range of subject matter, with a particular focus on operations & logistics, SAAS vendors, & related agreements, & strategic partnerships.
- Continue to build scalable & effective processes for the commercial legal function, including through the creation & maintenance of playbooks, contract templates & a form library, & self-help workflows.
- Oversee the Legal teams vendor contract review process, policies, & related training.
- Lead the Legal team's review & oversight of marketing & advertising initiatives across all channels, including seasonal marketing campaigns, promotions, partnerships, influencer/ambassador strategies, & related compliance measures.
- Manage the Legal teams compliance programming, including tracking (and, in some cases, leading) annual training & policy review.
- Assist in other areas on the Legal team when needed, including, for example, employment, fashion, corporate matters, & data privacy.
- JD & NY bar membership or registration as an in-house attorney in NY.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience; in-house experience is essential.
- Experience drafting & negotiating a variety of commercial contracts & directly counseling clients.
- Familiarity with marketing regulations such as FTC, CAN-SPAM, & TCPA. Familiarity with subscriptions is a plus.
- A practical, proactive, creative, & risk-based approach to counseling & negotiating.
- The ability to translate legal issues into clear, plain English guidance for non-lawyers.
- A highly collaborative work ethic, while also exercising autonomy as a subject matter expert.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment & an ability to calibrate when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- An ability to interact effectively with your colleagues & clients, & to build strong relationships & influence across departments.
- An ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects under tight deadlines.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 2 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you & if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy & applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $154,170 - $192,712. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held. This position is also eligible for equity compensation.