Here at Appian, were passionate about technology. We love making it, & we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration & is committed to personal & professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, & in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Building the cloud infrastructure for the leading low-code platform requires agile, reliable, highly secure, highly scalable, & highly available systems. As a Senior Software Engineer, your mission will be to make that goal possible. At Appian Cloud, you will make a substantial impact on the growth of our cloud platform working within & across agile teams to architect, design, develop & deploy features to expand, scale & secure our Appian as Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering.
We're committed to pushing cutting edge trends in cloud infrastructure development in order to create the best possible experience for our customers. This position requires the mental agility to drive success in our extremely fast development cycle, where it's common to write code & have it go live on our platform minutes later. We continuously push code to production developed in small autonomous teams, teams that build software to orchestrate our cloud platform, & enhance our offering with features that extend our PaaS capabilities for our customers around the world.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Architect, design & develop software to secure, scale & control the life cycle of the infrastructure that runs Appian as PaaS using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Drive to impact by engaging with early adopter customers to ensure the successful rollout of your features & automation for our PaaS offering.
- Perform feature adoption & performance analysis to enable the success of our cloud platform.
- Drive innovation by coming up with new & exciting ideas to creatively solve complex problems at scale, while looking for opportunities to improve the design, interface, & architecture of Appian Cloud.
- Define & implement secure networking solutions between on-premise data centers & commercial clouds.
Some of the tools & resources we will equip you with include:
- Actively participate in code reviews & retrospectives to improve our quality & agility.
- Empower multiple departments to be self sufficient at using our PaaS building self-service solutions.
- Partner with our product engineering team & other departments to build applications of enterprise scale, including but not limited to data analytics, content delivery, observability systems, infrastructure as code, etc.
- We value innovation & investment in our people by providing opportunities for growth & leadership. Whether its through Engineering IndieTime (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want), or annual hackathons, we value activities that inspire others & get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers & leaders to have a sense of community & accomplishment.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar.
- Programming experience with public clouds such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform)
- Familiarity with networking & information security in cloud (e.g. VPN, compliance, etc.)
- Experience with at least one linux scripting language (e.g. bash/shell, perl, etc.)
- Experience with RDBMS database technology (e.g. MySQL, Oracle or Amazon RDS, SQL Server, etc.)
- Familiarity with web server platforms (e.g. Apache, Microsoft IIS, Nginx, etc.)
- Excellent spoken & written communication with both technical & non-technical people.
Appian helps organizations build apps & workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, & data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources & improve business results. Many of the worlds largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, & simplify global risk management & compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers & throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth & opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate & our employees are to thank for Appians success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com & let us know the nature of your request & your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.