Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Curbed is seeking a social media devotee to take our off-platform storytelling to the next level. Under the direction of our engagement editor, youll create copy & graphics to engage, grow, & diversify our readership, helping turn Curbed into a multiplatform juggernaut for all intelligent home-related content.
The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter who flexes excellent communication & organizational skills. Enthusiasm forand, ideally, familiarity withCurbeds coverage areas are vital to this position. Above all, the right candidate has a desire to grow Curbeds social media presence through exciting, engaging storytelling, whether that be on Facebook, Instagram, or elsewhere. This is the kind of position that is what you make of it.
As part of the Curbed engagement team, you will
- Post to & monitor a range of social media accounts, simultaneously, with a focus on Instagram
- Brainstorm search-friendly headlines & social-friendly copy with editors
- Collaborate with visuals team to create media that accompanies our stories on sociallike gifs, quote images, & platform-specific graphicsand propose creative projects for Instagram
- Spot social media trends, including new platforms & changes to existing ones
- Monitor & compile analytics, & work with the engagement editor to optimize strategy
- Engage with (talk to!) our readers & various communities on our platforms
- Work with Curbed writers & editors on social best practices
- Work with other engagement teams across Vox Media to share best practices & sharpen your skills
- Learn from & contribute to a collaborative editorial team
Required skills & experience
- Demonstrated ability to write social-friendly copy
- Experience managing social media in content publishing or for a brand; journalism experience is a bonus. (Were looking for about two years experience, & are open to what this means for you.)
- Excellent communication skills & ability to juggle several simultaneous tasks
- Enthusiasm for change, & corresponding flexibility with workflow
- An eye for design & basic experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator preferred
- Working knowledge of mainstream social platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter) & expertise with at least two of those platforms
- General understanding of the evolving social media landscape & ongoing desire to stay on top of changes to platforms & best practices
- The ability to work well both independently & with others, & handle multiple simultaneous projects with various lead times
- Impeccable grammar & writing skills: You dont need to be closely edited.
- An enthusiastic work ethic: You are what you do.
- A passion for growing Curbeds audience
This is a full-time position with benefits based in the New York City Vox Media offices. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter. Heres what we want to see in your application: In your cover letter, lay out your experience with managing social media accounts, & highlight your expertise with two social media platforms (choose from: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, & Twitter). In either your cover letter or resume, include a list of the social accounts you currently manage for a brand or media organization, or examples of posts from when you did manage those accounts. Also include links to your personal social media accounts. If relevant, attach or link to any social media graphics youve created (not a requirement).
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.