Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US & we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
Our product engineering team, Wholesale, is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the team in Cambridge, MA. On the Wholesale team you will help define & complete a product suite that underpins a rapidly expanding revenue stream within CarGurus! Your team will be responsible for initiatives that have impact both within CarGurus & at our business partners. As part of our fast-moving team you will help to define processes that help us meet the business needs & scale our engineering team into the future. Potential project opportunities: create APIs to allow partners to integrate into our services, create features to drive customer conversion & satisfaction, collaborate with our CarGurus teams to develop tools used by hundreds of engineers, develop integrations with third parties to unlock new markets.
What Youll Do:
Leadership: Were seeking an individual who embodies CarGurus Leadership Principles to build a culture where inclusiveness is a reflex, not an initiative. We envision a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potential to work every day where they dont just fit, they thrive.
- Lead yourself: Our leaders are intentional about how they show up, manage themselves, & take responsibility for their decisions & the impact they have on others.
- Create a shared purpose: Our leaders tap into motivation by aligning people around a common purpose. They connect strategy & success by focusing their teams on clear objectives & helping people understand how their individual roles contribute to our collective Mission.
- Inspire ownership & accountability: Our leaders create a shared commitment to success & therefore a mutual accountability for results. They enable & empower other but know when to roll up their sleeves & provide support. The best leaders develop more leaders.
- Communicate openly: Our leaders communicate proactively & transparently about goals, challenges, & opportunities. They listen with the intent to understand. They seek opportunities to collaborate across the business.
- Invest in growth: Our leaders embody a growth mindset. They challenge themselves & their teams to be curious & actively seek opportunities for learning & improvement, even when its uncomfortable.
- Cultivate environments of respect & trust: Our leaders care about people. They value diverse perspectives & are committed to building a culture where everyone can show up as themselves & do their best work together!
Influencing & inspiring engineers will be paramount in the success of this role. You will facilitate cross-team collaboration between multiple engineering teams, Product Management, UX Design, Analytics, Sales, Operations, & Customer Success. You will use your leadership expertise to drive groups with disparate interests to decisions, seeing these through to impact. You will be able to help make pragmatic decisions, balancing strategic & tactical needs. You will help Senior Leadership manage engineering risk & make sure we are making the right trade-off calls.
Technical Expertise: This is a player coach role in which you will be an important influence to core projects & experimental work. When presented with a complex problem, process, or existing system, you can reduce its complexity to get more done with less work. You will collaborate with tech leads & engineers throughout the organization to provide technical guidance. Your technical guidance will mean team members working with you will feel like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they arrived with & will have learnt something along the way.
- Lead whiteboard sessions & architecture design conversations while engineering a solution to the challenges at hand
- Ensure your team writes clean, well-tested, & efficient code
- Collaborate with product management, data analysts & other engineers to identify & scope opportunities
- Contribute to roadmap definition
- Make data driven decisions
- Monitor & improve upon the performance of products & solutions
- Be an owner of critical pieces of software
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of product software development experience
- 1-3 years of leadership experience
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational database
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- People focused technical leader with high Emotional Intelligence
- Excellent collaborator with demonstrated experience working in a cross-functional team including Product, Design, Analytics
- Excellent communicator who can tailor message based on audience which can range from junior engineer to senior business leader to third-party vendor
- Detail oriented leader who makes data driven decisions
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal & professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts & government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions & needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees & their families, our customers & visitors, & the community at large.