Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Were now a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
Our engineering team works on a variety of projects, like adding functionality to the code evaluation engine that parses & runs millions of learner submissions every single day; developing & optimizing landing pages that make the first page of a search engine result; & leveraging & extending APIs to build user-facing features. During this internship, youll spend 8 to 14 weeks in our NYC office embedded on the team, mentored by our full-time engineers.
This position, like our work, is flexible between frontend & backend engineeringyou can focus on one part of the stack or get exposure to different areas.
Role: Software Engineering Intern
What youll do:
- Architect & extend services across our platform, enabling our users to achieve their learning goals while considering scalability, efficiency, & maintainability
- Work in a dynamic team environment with product managers, designers, & other engineers
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, & deployment of your teams projects
- Communicate architectural decisions & code changes to the engineering team & the whole company
Who you are:
- Pursuing a career in software engineering, regardless of past academic or professional experience
- If still in school, an expected graduation date by summer 2021
- Eager to learn more about the industry & make your mark at Codecademy (and ideally join our team full-time)
- Enjoy teamwork & collaboration, but you can fly solo as well
What youll need:
- Comfortable with at least one modern back-end or front-end technology
- Commitment to writing clean & high quality code
- Willingness to learn new technologies, best practices, & more
- Desire & ability to write clean, stable tests
If you fit most but not all of these, we still highly encourage you to apply.You can see our full list of competencies for interns on our engineering-competencies repository.
What will make you stand out:
- Past experience working on user-facing coding projects
- Proven empathy for our learners, such as a background in education or experience using our site
- Experience with the technologies we use
- A track record of promoting inclusivity in your projects and/or communities
The Application Process:
- Apply via our website!
- If your resume is selected for further review, well send you a take-home coding exercise
- After the coding exercise, well schedule a call with you & a member of the engineering team
- A final interview including a coding exercise & company culture interview
In your cover letter, please answer the following:
- Why do you want to work at Codecademy?
- Tell us about a time you weren't the smartest person in the room.
- Tell us how youve promoted inclusivity in your projects and/or communities.
We expect to wrap this process up in March.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its formsrace, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability statusand works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.