Who We Are
HomeLight is a venture-backed technology startup revolutionizing the $1 trillion real estate industry. Our mission is simple we empower people to achieve better outcomes during one of lifes most important events: buying or selling their home.
HomeLights technology analyzes millions of home transactions to determine which agent or cash buyer is right for you. We also offer innovative financing & closing solutions, creating an end-to-end real estate experience that's simple, certain, & satisfying.
We pride ourselves on our company culture but dont just take it from us. Weve been recognized as a best place to work by Forbes, Inc. Magazine, & the San Francisco Business Times. Our team breaks barriers every day while staying committed to HomeLight's goals & core values, which is a crucial element to our shared success.
Who You Are
HomeLight is looking for its first Director of Risk to scale the risk-taking, risk governance & best-in-industry risk-return performance for our flagship Cash Close program even as HomeLights Cash Close program scales to 100s of deals a month over the next year.
You understand deeply from first hand experience that the key to a superior beta is superior risk-adjusted return management. You enjoy working with frontline risk-takers as well as middle-office/back-office personnel in a hands-on capacity, including stepping in to do any of the roles in case the need arises. You persist with data-driven decision making farther than anyone around you & only then you apply judgment, that too in a scalable, systematic way. You are a risk-taker first & foremost, before applying your risk management or risk mitigation mindset. This implies you take pride in minimizing risks you shouldn't have rejected as much as you obsess about risks you shouldn't have accepted. You enjoy working in a warm, growing environment & value being part of an energetic, fun & creative team.
What Youll Do Here
Role will start off fairly hands on, responsible for all things risk decision making & approvals for a young property purchase program. With growth, this role is responsible for building a team to manage the risk & pricing functions with the following responsibilities
- Scale a formal risk governance organization comprising operational field-execution & centralized team execution personnel
- Take full ownership & responsibility for risk performance of the Cash Close program while fulfilling fiduciary responsibilities to Cash Close investors
- Be the final decision maker for all exceptions, risk criteria expansions & tricky property approval scenarios that require escalation
- Drive leaps & bounds improvements to the deal assessment, property assessment & valuation process through the team
- Establish Risk Analytics framework, infrastructure & reporting for the CEO & the Board
- Partner with the Sales organization in managing delegations on straightforward deals such that the sales team speed of response keeps improving
- Partner with Capital Markets organization in engaging with Cash Close investors periodically while retaining their confidence through regular reporting, feedback & adjustments
- At least 5 years experience in mid-office analytics / portfolio management / risk management for Fixed Income at Institutional Investment Management Firms or REITs or at iBuyers
- An intuitive understanding for property ownership risks, property valuation risks & property liquidity risk, mortgage credit risk & interest rate risk. You use this understanding to obtain a 360 perspective across mortgage underwriting & property underwriting in delivering a superior risk-return performance.
- An exposure to Residential Real Estate Investment & have demonstrated ability to move the needle on risk-return performance
- Deep care about improving your own quality of life at work & believe technology & elegant design makes everyones lives easier
- Affinity for environments that are constantly moving & changing & adapt processes & systems to easily handle the changes
- Your colleagues describing you as a joy to work with
- A great reputation among front-office personnel & back-office personnel alike