Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Mechanical Engineering team at Planet is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to help drive the design of key spacecraft subsystems across Planets fleet of Earth-imaging satellites! Your mission will be to champion our spacecraft design efforts, from the subsystem level, all the way up to the top-level spacecraft. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned mechanical designer who has led mechanical engineering efforts across multiple spacecraft programs from conceptual design, through to flight. As a member of the Mechanical Engineering team within Planets Space Systems division, you will be a key contributor & stakeholder in Planets agile aerospace approach to spacecraft design, & will work hand-in-glove with structural analysis, thermal engineering, and reliability & qualification, as well as the rest of Planets leading-edge spacecraft design & manufacturing teams.
Impact Youll Own:
- Own the mechanical design & architecture on key spacecraft subsystems across Planets satellite fleet
- Drive documentation & presentation of new designs throughout design process, e.g. across design review gates
- Collaborate with structural analysis team to drive / perform analyses on key spacecraft subsystems to meet stiffness & strength requirements
- Drive part / assembly tolerancing using GD&T, & own release of drawing packages for part fabrication
- Drive part / assembly design & fabrication at key subsystem vendors
- Collaborate with manufacturing team to implement key spacecraft design for manufacturing (DFM) & design for assembly (DFA) features
- Support ICD development & release of key structural interfaces
- Support test planning & qualification test campaigns
- Support debugging & root-causing on-orbit anomalies
What You Bring:
- 5+ years experience in designing complex thermo-optically sensitive hardware, preferably for space (but other applications will be considered as well)
- Expertise in computer-aided design (CAD) software. SolidWorks preferred, though not necessary
- Seasoned experience in & passion for analyzing & root-causing problems quickly & efficiently
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- Ability to generate part drawings & perform GD&T
- Experience with design & fabrication of composites & metal parts
- Hands-on experience with dynamic hardware builds, vibration & shock testing
- Self-motivation & a strong sense of ownership over ones work in a dynamic & fast-paced environment
- Outstanding verbal & visual communication skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- >5 years of experience designing spacecraft
- Ability to drive manufacturers & DFM/DFA
- Expertise in optics / opto-mechanical hardware
- Proficiency in Matlab, Visual Basic, Python and/or C
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.