Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
One of General Assemblys seven work values is Always bring data to the conversation, & we are searching for a leader to push this value to the next level. Someone to own & architect our data systems & processes at GA, improving how we leverage data to better serve our learners.
Your north-star will be to ensure GA becomes a data-first company. Your focus is to assess the current state of data at GA--what data we collect, how we store & structure it, & how we analyze & consume it--and build a strategy for our business to collect & consume data more effectively. You will partner with stakeholders across functions within our organization, including product, marketing, admissions, & operations. You will need to communicate clearly & empathetically with stakeholders & with your team so you can develop a network of enthusiastic subject matter experts & data advocates to drive data utilization at General Assembly.
You will report directly to the VP of Technology & oversee three teams, Data Engineering, Business Intelligence, & Salesforce. A total of nine members & growing.
Our current data technology stack is Redshift, Python, Looker, Tableau, Salesforce, & an open-source event-based data pipeline. While there are no coding expectations in this role, you must have proven in-depth data engineering & business intelligence experience.
- Leadership & Management. Lead & inspire a global high-performing team of engineers & analysts. Be a mentor & coach, fostering ownership, guiding personal growth, & continually striving to raise the bar on delivery performance & quality. Use your prior experience as a manager to identify gaps, develop team members, & build the team you need to achieve your goals.
- Strategy & Planning. Gather a deep understanding of your stakeholders & customers, their problems, as well as our data & business constraints. Be the domain expert for all data solutions & speak crisply to the current & planned functionality. Leverage your technical experience to guide us toward better insights & data tools. Collaborate with business stakeholders & other leaders to develop & own the short & long-term data strategy. Be empathetic to their needs & understand their problems to recommend the most effective solutions. Define a plan that is grounded in solid business cases & that supports our company strategy & roadmap.
- Delivery. Ensure initiatives deliver on time & within budget following our Agile & Scrum processes. Work with stakeholders & customers to evangelize & implement large scale changes. Respond to changing circumstances & tight deadlines as priorities evolve.
- Budget. Monitor & set your strategy around quality & performance, including fiscal performance. Maintain a budget & staff profile for your domain as part of the larger technology budget & staffing profile.
- 8+ years of professional experience in a technical data role, such as data analysis, data engineering, or data science
- 5+ years of professional experience building & managing high-performing data teams.
- Strong proficiency in SQL (Redshift/Postgres preferred).
- Proficiency with BI tools such as Looker or Tableau.
- Knowledge of data warehousing & ETL/ELT concepts.
- Strong communication skills & empathy to understand stakeholder challenges.
- Strong organization skills & ability to prioritize competing initiatives.
- Experience translating business vision into a company-wide data strategy.
- Experience implementing best practices in data security, data governance, & data privacy.
Nice to have:
- Experience with predictive modeling, machine learning, natural language processing, or other advanced analytical techniques.
- Experience with data tools like Google Analytics, Snowplow, & Survey Monkey.
- Knowledge of GDPR & CCPA data requirements.
- Strong knowledge of Tableau.
- Proficiency with Salesforce.
- Highly competitive salary & health benefits.
- Generous parental leave.
- Annual education allowance.
- Gym & phone & remote office set up allowance.
- Apple MacBook Pro & external monitor.
Who can apply?
Residents of the following locations:
- US: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NY, OR, RI, TN, TX, UT, WA, DC, WI, WV, & VA