About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
The Senior Producer for Intercept Podcasts is responsible for managing The Intercepts weekly shows including the flagship Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill & Deconstructed with Mehdi Hasan as well as special narrative & investigative series. The Senior Producer will work closely with the hosts & executive producers of The Intercepts shows, as well as journalists across the Intercepts newsroom & its leadership, to develop original ideas for segments, series & live events, & on their execution.
- Overseeing the Intercepts slate of podcasts, maintaining their success & growing their reach & impact.
- Recruiting, hiring & managing both full-time & freelance production staff for Intercept podcasts.
- Creating & managing show budgets.
- Attending weekly editorial & production meetings for all podcasts & providing guidance on story/topic/guest selection.
- Giving editorial notes on show segments & series.
- Monitoring analytics & developing strategies for audience growth, including marketing, communications, & other outreach.
- Coordinating & overseeing live podcast event production, working with partners (e.g. Hot Docs, Third Coast).
- Working closely with The Intercepts editorial team to field & develop ideas from writers & editors, attending newsroom meetings.
- Strategizing & coordinating with The Intercepts design department on show art & photos.
- Managing operations for podcast launches & distribution.
- Collaborating with Topic Studios podcast team & business department on their revenue goals as well as revenue, membership, & marketing opportunities for Intercept podcasts.
Background & Qualifications:
- At least 7 years experience producing radio and/or podcasts of a journalistic nature, with a track record of cultivating compelling voices & engaging content.
- Interest & fluency in The Intercepts areas of coverage, including war, surveillance, corruption, criminal justice, politics, history, & global affairs.
- Seasoned audio editor, fluent in ProTools or similar software.
- Deep skills in host prep, direction, & script writing.
- Sharp eye for talent & good stories.
- Excellent news judgment & keen understanding of the news media landscape.
- Strong management & organizational skills
- Experience managing small production team(s), creating workflows & delegating roles.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills; maturity in dealing with talent, upper management, & business partners.
- Ability to work efficiently on deadline; adaptability to varying workflows & editorial demands.
- Creative idea-generator, with ability to come up with unique angles on important issues.
In your cover letter, please tell us what you think about our current podcasts, & include ideas for new podcasts & areas of coverage, especially in the run-up to the 2020 election.