Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities & public spaces, with products that bridge the digital & physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information & content to enrich our everyday journeys & elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with groundbreaking technology to design, develop, deliver, & maintain unique products & experiences in public space that deliver value to advertisers, cities, & consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting & travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents & visitors, or private developers to craft unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods & districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the Role?
As a Mechanical Engineer at Intersection, you will work with team members from across the organization to design, build, test & prototype hardware that transit authorities, cities, & communities use to deliver content & experiences. Youll be an integral part of efforts to develop business critical solutions & designs to aid in the manufacturing, deployment & sustainability of our hardware suite.
Within your first month:
- Become familiar with our design tools, standards, CAD libraries & methodologies
- Spend time with engineers in the hardware team to get up to speed on current development projects
- Have conversations with people across the planning, deployment & engineering teams to build your understanding of Transit & Smart cities.
Within your first three months:
- Work with senior engineer to develop & refine design process
- Work with hardware engineering team to develop designs & concepts for transit products
- Collaborate on design projects for active product deployments
- Develop an understanding of HW product development process
- Develop an understanding of safety, manufacturing, & construction codes & standards
- Develop an understanding of product manufacturing, testing & feasibility
Within your first nine months:
- Design viable solutions to improve upon product feasibility
- Design tools & fixtures for testing hardware functions
- Develop concept drawings & designs based on product requirements
- Develop prototypes for testing
- Perform engineering calculations & simulations to determine thermal, mechanical & structural stresses.
- Develop CAD packages for fabricators, manufacturers & installation teams.
- Develop & maintain bill of materials for product assemblies
- Identify opportunities for cost savings using DFM & DFA methods.
Youre great for this role because:
- You are a strong problem solver that has a design focused approach to finding solutions.
- Youre passionate about design, fabrication & how things work.
- You are proficient in 3D & 2D CAD & engineering tools ( Solidworks, Autodesk )
- You have knowledge of rapid prototyping & manufacturing principles.
- You have knowledge of machining & fabrication methods
- You are proficient with simulation tools ( Solidworks Simulation, ANSYS, etc. )
- Structural steel, sheet metal, construction knowledge is a plus.
- Youre positive & team oriented, passionate about learning.
Intersection is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Consistent with our mission of serving a diverse & global audience, we value a diverse workforce & inclusive culture which reflects that. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, & veteran status.