Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Come & join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
We are seeking a Vice President, Finance to lead our finance & accounting-related initiatives, set the strategic vision, & manage financially-oriented conversations with external stakeholders. We are headed through an exciting time at Cockroach Labs with increased revenue from our customer relationships. We are excited to work with an individual who thrives in a rapid growth environment & enjoys building out robust finance & accounting functions to support all associated company needs & managing fundraising/corp dev diligence efforts. This position will report directly to the CEO with extensive cross-functional interaction.
- Lead financial models & forecasting process on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis to support attainment of the company's immediate growth objectives as well as long-term growth objectives (3-5 years).
- Partner with CEO & CRO on company-wide budgeting, forecasting, cash forecasting, & strategic initiatives.
- Develop annual operating plans, sales forecasts, periodic forecasts, & forecasting schedules.
- Develop & improve dashboards to track business KPIs; identify trends & proactively engage with functional leaders to stay ahead of the curve, keeping up with industry best practices.
- Build a business partner-oriented finance team & establish strong partnerships with each functional department head in initiatives like the annual budgeting process.
- Implement & manage software, systems, & processes to supporting accounting, financial planning, & payment processing.
- Lead, develop, & mentor the finance & accounting team.
External Partnerships & Reporting
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders (e.g., Board of Directors, banking partners & potential investors) regarding company finances.
- Lead financial due diligence for fundraising efforts, large deals, contracts, & negotiations.
- Own the companys annual equity (409a) valuations & coordinate with outside counsel for equity administration matters surrounding option & restricted stock grants.
- Calculate stock compensation expense using equity administration platform.
Accounting & Payroll
- Oversee monthly accounting close activities & ensure compliance with local, state & federal government reporting requirements.
- Document internal controls, policies & procedures related to financial reporting & compliance.
- Manage audits, tax advisors & 3rd party professional service providers.
- Manage payroll systems & processes, including managing tax & incentives strategy, & compensation planning.
- Responsible for the measurement & effectiveness of all processes internal & external, providing timely, accurate & complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication, & implementation of effective growth strategies & processes.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop & implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, & personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization, which includes implementing automation at every stage..
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
In your first 30 days, you will assess where we are with our finances & where we need to be. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company. We want you to take this time to ask questions, build relationships (internal & external), & generate ideas on how to lay the foundation for your teams success. This foundation will help you will understand how to navigate our environment & give you a grasp of the current business model.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. At this time, you should have a solid understanding of the companys operations, systems, & procedures. You should also understand where our pain points are & have a solid plan in place for an immediate strategy to make an impact, with a long-term vision in place.
- Highly operational leader who can own the full spectrum of financial responsibilities for a rapidly growing SaaS startup.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset: enjoys the challenge of a fast-paced, complex environment & is highly motivated, proactive & detailed-oriented.
- Strong understanding of SaaS metrics & how to manage against them.
- Prior experience leading fundraising diligence efforts, ideally at a growth stage company.
- Strong technical, analytical skills.
- Understanding of GAAP & experience managing the accounting function.
- Strong ethical standards & integrity.
- 10+ years of relevant experience with at least 5 years as a Director or VP of Finance.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.