As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer you will be leading efforts across Vox Media to build the next generation of platforms, APIs, & tooling, with the expectation that you will play a leadership role for our platforms, architecture, & UX across Vox Media.
What you'll do:
- Plan, architect, & build features for existing products & new products across Vox Media
- Contribute to making technical decisions that influence architecture
- Seek ways to improve platform & tooling based on team needs & industry best practices
- Provide mentorship & support to more junior team members
- Collaborate closely with our team to integrate front & backend features, demonstrating & advocating for a high quality of work that is scalable, secure, & user-focused way
- Contribute to product development, working alongside the team to deliver stories & technical tasks
- Give constructive feedback to team members via code reviews & architectural reviews
- Scope & break down user stories into clear & achievable technical tasks
- Participate in video team meetings, such as daily scrums/standups, sprint planning, & estimation sessions
- Raise technical risks to the team that could impact performance, security, or the ability to scale our tech in the future
- Contribute to & improve product & technical documentation
- Contribute to a developer culture that is transparent, supportive, & focused on delivery
What you'll bring:
- Curiosity fueled empathy to improve those around you through culture, engineering & relationships
- A point of view on best practices, technical trade-offs, & evaluating software, as well as expertise in supporting opinions with research & experience
- Strong communication skills & the ability to work & collaborate with a team remotely
- Commitment to user-centered design, web standards, performance, usability, & accessibility
- Ideas, opinions & the ability to share them through respectful proposals, talks, diagrams & team-wide discussions
- Expertise in architecting, scaling, & delivering web applications
- Expertise with GraphQL (Relay, Apollo, or similar)
- Expertise in writing testable code & corresponding tests that verifies its behavior
- Experience designing & implementing highly available, scalable web applications
- Experience with MongoDB, Docker, & Redis
- Great documentation skills
- Courage to refactor code when necessary
- A real passion for mission-driven work
- A problem-solving mindset & a knack for troubleshooting
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with multi-tenant environments is a plus
- Experience working with news organizations
- Experience with cloud providers
- Experience working with a remote-first team
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.